Tracking (Centennial merit badge)
|2010 Historic (a.k.a. "Centennial") Merit Badges "Data Entry" Deadline: With the deadline of December 31, 2010 for Scouts to earn the historical merit badges, the decision has been made to allow additional time thereafter for entering them into the ScoutNET system. The deadline for doing so has been set as March 31, 2011. This applies to those at the local council who enter advancement based on forms submitted, or unit management software file uploads provided. It also applies to unit advancement processors using Internet Advancement. The merit badges affected are: Carpentry, Pathfinding, Signaling, and Tracking. This is not intended as an extension of time to earn the badges; only as additional time for data entry. Troops can submit advancement reports for Historic Merit Badges earned by Scouts before 12/31/2010 through March 31, 2011. — Announcement from the National Council office.|
|Tracking "Centennial" merit badge|
|Released:||1911, 2010||BSA Advancement ID:|
|Retired:||1952, 2010||Requirements Revision:||2010|
The Tracking (Centennial merit badge) merit badge was one of the original 57 merit badges issued by the Boy Scouts of America in 1911.
Tracking (Centennial merit badge) requirements
- The Art of Tracking Professional-level instruction in a concise format.
- BearTracker's Animal Tracks Den A copious amount of information on North American animal tracking, written at a layman's level.
BSA Merit Badge Resources
2010 Historic merit badge program resources
|Merit Badge||MeritBadge.Org||USScouts.Org||Scouting.Org (BSA)|
|Carpentry||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
|Pathfinding||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
|Signaling||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
|Tracking||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
The basics of the 2010 Historic Merit Badge Program include:
- "The effective date for earning these new merit badges is April 1, 2010, and requirements must be completed no later than Dec. 31, 2010." — 2010 Historical MB Program
- "The contemporary merit badges closely resemble the original designs of their counterparts with the exception of the border, which is gold." — 2010 Historical MB Program
- The BSA Supply Division will not print (new) or re-print (old) pamphlets for these merit badges – official BSA materials for these merit badges will be available only in electronic format at Scouting.Org. (We have provided you those links, above).
History: 1938, 1945, 1950 merit badge requirements
- Demonstrate by means of a stalking game or otherwise, ability to stalk skillfully in shelter and wind, etc., showing how to proceed noiselessly and "freeze" when occasion demands.
- Know and recognize the tracks of ten different kinds of animals or birds in his vicinity, three of which may be domestic.
- Submit satisfactory evidence that he has trailed two different kinds of wild animals or birds on ordinary ground far enough to determine the direction in which they were going, and their gait or speed. Give names of animals or birds trailed, their direction of travel, and describe gait and speed; or submit satisfactory evidence that he has trailed six different kinds of wild animal or birds in snow, sand, dust, or mud, far enough to determine the direction in which they were going, and their gait or speed. Give names of animals or birds, their direction of travel, and describe gait and speed.
- Submit satisfactory evidence that he has tracked a human being and deduced from the trail whether it was a man or woman, young or old, the gait or speed, and also give any other information deduced.
- Submit evidence the he has scored at least 30 points from the following groups: [Group (f) and 4 of the 5 groups (a), (b), (c), (d), (e) must be represented in the score of 30 and at least 7 points must be scored from (a), (b), or (c)].
- Make a clear recognizable photograph of:
- (a) Live bird away from nest ... 4 points each
- (b) Live woodchuck or smaller wild animal ... 3 points each
- (c) Live wild animal larger than woodchuck ... 4 points each
- (d) Live bird on nest ... 3 points each
- (e) Tracks of live wild animal or bird ... 2 points each
- (f) Make satisfactory plaster cast of wild animal or bird tracks with identification imprint on back of cast ... 2 points each
|General Merit Badge information