Tour Plan

From MeritBadgeDotOrg

Revision as of 00:13, February 1, 2011 by RWSmith (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search

Effective March 1, 2011, what are currently known as local and national Tour Permits will be superseded by what will be called the Tour Plan. The online tour permit system will be suspended.

Here is the definition of the Tour Plan in the Language of Scouting: "Units complete this form when planning for local, national, or international adventure. The plan helps ensure the unit is properly prepared, that qualified and trained leadership is in place, and that the right equipment is available for the adventure."

The new Tour Plan is available here, or at (Scouting.Org).

Tour Plan FAQ

See: [[1]]

Q. Why should I complete a tour plan?
A. The tour plan is a checklist for best practices to be prepared for safe and fun adventure. Completing the tour plan may not address all possible challenges but can help ensure that appropriate planning has been conducted, that qualified and trained leadership is in place, and that the right equipment is available for the adventure.

In addition, the plan helps to organize safe and appropriate transportation to and from an event, and defines driver qualifications and minimum limits of insurance coverage for drivers and vehicles used to transport participants.

Please complete and submit this plan at least 21 days in advance to ensure your council has enough time to review the plan and assist you in updating the plan if it is found defective. When the review is complete, the second half of the plan is returned to you to carry on your travels.

Q. When do I need to complete a tour plan?
A. Times when a tour plan must be submitted for council review include:

  • Trips of 500 miles or more
  • Trips outside of council borders not to a council-owned property
  • Trips to any national high-adventure base, national Scout jamboree, National Order of the Arrow Conference, or regionally sponsored event
  • When conducting the following activities outside of council or district events:
  • Aquatics activities (swimming, boating, floating, scuba, etc.)
  • Climbing and rappelling
  • Orientation flights (process flying plan)
  • Shooting sports
  • Any activities involving motorized vehicles as part of the program (snowmobiles, boating, etc.)
  • At a council's request

Regardless, the tour plan is an excellent tool that should be included in preparation for all activities, even those not requiring it. It guides a tour leader through itineraries, travel arrangement, two-deep leadership, qualifications of supervision, and transportation.

Q. What is different on the tour plan vs. the tour permit?
A. Several items:

  • Council is the reviewer of all tour plans; no regional review is required.
  • The tour plan consists of a tour planning worksheet that is completed by the unit/contingent. After processing, the council retains the tour planning worksheet and returns the tour plan to the unit.
  • The plan can be printed on standard 8 ½-by-11-inch paper!
  • 21- vs. 14-day advance notice requested for units to submit the plan for your review.
  • A single point of contact (not on the tour) for council use included.
  • Defined reasons/times when a tour plan must be submitted for council review.
  • Updated Pledge of Performance.

Q. My council is telling me my plan is defective; what does that mean?
A. It would be best to address that with the reviewer directly so that defects can be removed. In many cases, it may just be that part of your plan was incomplete. Common reasons could include lack of two-deep leadership; training not completed, documented or expired; excessive daily travel; and not including vehicles with the capacity to carry the tour.

Q. Is planning and preparing for Hazardous Weather Training required for all tours?
A. Yes, it has been required for all tours, including local and national, Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Venturing, since January 1, 2009. It should be repeated every two years and is appropriate for not only adults but Boy Scout aged youth as well. A CD is available for use at your unit, district and council events where internet access is not available. Search www.ScoutStuff.Org for Item No. 610642.

Q. What should we use for permission from parents?
A. The Activity Consent Form and Approval by Parents or Guardian is an appropriate resource.

Q. Do I need anything else if we are going on a discovery flight?
A. Yes, please complete the Flying Plan Application, No. 19-672WB, along with an Activity Consent Form and Approval by Parents or Guardian, No. 19-673 (for each participant).

Q. Do I need to complete the accident/sickness insurance information if I don’t know what that is?
A. Many councils and some units purchase supplemental insurance for the entire year or an event. The completion of this section is at the council’s discretion.

Personal tools