lesson videos showing Outdoor Skills, and First Aid Skills plus Merit Badges, and Scout Awards links.
Troop resources include the Advancement Campout and monthly Troop Program Themes.
The advancement program for Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts is symbolized by the earning of seven badges, six of which are considered ranks. The program is often considered to be divided into two phases.
The first phase of advancement (from joining to First Class) is designed to teach the Scoutcraft skills, how to participate in a group, and to learn self-reliance. The Scout badge is awarded when the Scout demonstrates a rudimentary knowledge of the Scouting ideals and program. Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class have progressively harder requirements in the areas of Scoutcraft, physical fitness, citizenship, personal growth, and Scout Spirit.
Tenderfoot rank requirements
| A FREE workbook for Tenderfoot rank is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- "The requirements for Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks may be worked on simultaneously; however, these ranks must be earned in sequence."
- Alternate Requirements for the Tenderfoot rank are available for Scouts with qualifying physical or mental disabilities.
- The Advancement Campout includes all of the camping, cooking, first aid, and hiking skills through First Class.
- BSA Videos: The BSA Video: Skills Lessons are excellent but are large files that require Apple QuickTime.
- Most Links provide a number of resources including videos from the Outdoor Skills, Swimming Skills, and First Aid Skills.
1. BSA Video: Overnight camping gear TF1.m4v - Outdoor Checklists - Packing a Backpack - Clothing - Outdoor Gear - Footwear - Sleeping Bags - Sleeping Pads
2. BSA Video - Tent Setup
3. BSA Video - Cooking Skills - Backpacking Stoves
4. Knots: BSA Video - Whipping and Fusing - Taut-Line Hitch - Two Half Hitches
- Animated Knots: Basic Scout Knots - Forty Scout knots - Special Knots - Sailing knots - Fishing knots - Folsoms Knots - Animatedknots.com - Great Animations - More Animated Knots - More great Animated Knots - Still more - Knot Videos - Basics Videos - Basics2
- Other Knot Links: Advanced knots - Ropers Knots Page - Climbing Knots - Fishing knots - Knots Index
4.c. EDGE method
5. BSA Video - Hiking Skills - Navigation - Navigation Without a Compass
6. BSA Video - Flag Ceremonies
7. BSA Video - Scout Oath - Scout Law - Scout Motto - Scout Slogan
8. BSA Video - Patrol
9. BSA Video - Buddy System - BSA: Bullying Prevention and Intervention Tips for Scout Leaders and Parents
10. Fitness: BSA Video
- Rules, etiquette, equipment, diagram of playing area:
- Baseball - Basketball - Field Hockey - Football - Ice Hockey - Lacrosse - Soccer - Softball - Tennis - Volleyball
- Unauthorized Sports: Boxing, Karate & "Related Martial Arts" (excepting judo, aikido, and tai chi), Parachuting, Motorized events (motorbikes, drag racing, speedboats), Paintball, Hunting, Parasailing, etc.
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See First Aid Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: First Aid Merit Badge Pamphlet - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Guide to Safe Scouting - Physcial
13. BSA Video - What does Scout Spirit really mean? (It's not what you do in your troop!)
14. BSA Video - Scoutmaster Conference - Explains that you don't "pass" a Scoutmaster Conference and how to appeal.
15. BSA Video - Board of Review - What can they ask? How long can it be? Is the uniform really required? How do you appeal?
1-5: Outdoor-related awards
- Boy Scout ranks: Tenderfoot - Second Class - First Class
- Boy Scout awards: Firem'n Chit - Totin' Chip - Paul Bunyan Woodsman
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Astronomy - Backpacking - Camping - Canoeing - Climbing - Cooking - Cycling - Fire Safety - Hiking - Orienteering - Pioneering - Rowing - Weather - Water Sports - Whitewater - Wilderness Survival
- Venturing: Outdoor Bronze Award; Ranger Award electives: Backpacking
- Webelos Activity Badges: Forester - Naturalist - Outdoorsman
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Astronomy - Map and Compass - Weather
10: Fitness Personal development-related awards
- Boy Scout merit badges:
- Venturing: Religious and Community Life Bronze Award - TRUST Award - Quest Award - Ranger Award electives: Physical Fitness - Backpacking
- Webelos activity badges: Citizen - Communicator - Family Member -Fitness - Scholar; Other resources: Flag Ceremonies
- Cub Scout belt loops & pins: Citizenship - Communicating - Heritages - Language and Culture - Physical Fitness
11-12: Emergency Preparedness-related awards
- Scouter Awards: Emergency Preparedness Award
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Crime Prevention - Emergency Preparedness - Fire Safety - First Aid - Lifesaving - Public Health - Safety- Traffic Safety
- Boy Scout awards: Emergency Preparedness Award
- Webelos Activity Badge: Readyman
- Cub Scout Awards: Emergency Preparedness Award
- Others Links: First Aid Skills - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Safe Swim Defense - Safety Afloat - Guide to Safe Scouting: First Aid
- Venturing: Ranger Award-Emergency Preparedness Requirement
|Boy Scout portal|
|Varsity Scout portal|
- Skills Instruction and Videos: First Aid Skills - Swimming - Outdoor Skills - Wilderness Survival - Backpacking - Cooking - Navigation - Campfires - Clothing - Cycling Skills