(Difference between revisions)
(New page: # Do the following: #:a. Grow six vegetables, three from seeds and three from seedlings, through harvesting. #:b. Grow six flowers, three from seeds and three from seedlings, through flo...)
m (Protected "Template:Gardening/req" [edit=sysop:move=sysop])
Revision as of 13:17, May 3, 2008
- Do the following:
- a. Grow six vegetables, three from seeds and three from seedlings, through harvesting.
- b. Grow six flowers, three from seeds and three from seedlings, through flowering.
- Give the food value of the following:
- a. Three root or tuber crops.
- b. Three vegetables that bear above the ground.
- c. Three fruits.
- Test 100 garden seeds for germination. Determine the percentage of seeds that germinate. Explain why you think some did not germinate.
- Visit your county extension agent’s office, local university agricultural college, nursery, or a botanical garden or arboretum. Report on what you learned.
- Identify five garden pests (insects, diseased plants). Recommend two solutions for each pest. At least one of the two solutions must be an organic method.
- Do ONE of the following:
- a. Build a compost bin and maintain it for 90 days.
- b. Build a vermipost bin (worm compost bin) and maintain it for 90 days.
- c. Build a hydroponic garden containing three vegetables or herbs, or three ornamental plants. Maintain this garden through harvest or flowering, or for 90 days.
- d. Build one water garden, either in a container (at least 12 by 6 inches and 6 inches deep), or in the ground as a small, decorative pond no larger than 6 by 3 feet and 24 inches deep. Maintain the water garden for 90 days.