The team is an entire Varsity Scout unit - youth members and adult leaders. Like a troop, a team may consist of as few as five boys and as many as 40 or more. The team captain conducts meetings and works with adult leaders to develop and carry out an effective program. Larger teams may be divided into Squads, groups much like a Boy Scout Patrol.
Between 1984 and 1989, Varsity Scouts were part of a Boy Scout troop, since 1989, a Varsity Scout team is a separate unit operated by a chartered organization. The chief operating officer of the organization which as been granted a charter by the BSA, appoints a Chartered Organization Representative who oversees the Varsity Scout team (and any other Scouting units such as a pack, troop or crew). The Team Committee is lead by the Team Committee Chairman, and handles the administrative, fiscal management, and policy making of the team. The team committee is usually made up of parents of youth members; a committee member may also serve as a Program Adviser for one of the five fields of emphasis. The Varsity Team Coach and Assistant Team Coach are the youth-facing leaders and should have a friendly working relationship with the team committee.
Varsity teams are usually expected to meet weekly, and go on outings monthly. They also hold courts of honor at least once a year; usually quarterly.
Youth members of a Team include:
- Team Captain
- Team Cocaptains
- Team Secretary
- Squad Leaders
- Program Managers from the five fields of emphasis:
- Team members, some of whom may hold other positions:
The team's adult Scouters are divided into two branches:
- Varsity Scout Individual History Report (45K PDF) Keep track of Varsity Scout letter and Denali Award progress dates and events.
- Varsity Scout Individual Interest Survey (29K PDF) Greater St. Louis Area Council (4/03).
- Resource Survey for Varsity Scout Team Adults (12K PDF) Greater St. Louis Area Council (4/03).
- Varsity Annual Planner (25K PDF) Modified, Utah National Parks Council, Provo District (2001).
- Annual Varsity Scout Team Planning Chart (25K PDF) BSA 2003.
Event and ultimate adventure planning
- Varsity Scout Team Activity Planning Worksheet (25K PDF) BSA 2003.
- Varsity Scout Team Activity Planning Worksheet (33K PDF) Modified, Team 336 Omaha, NE (6/06).
- Varsity Scout Team Activity Planning Worksheet (8K PDF) Modified, Utah National Parks Council, Provo District (2001).
- Varsity Scout Sample Trip Plan (29K PDF) BSA 2003.
- Ultimate Adventure Planning Checklist (33K PDF) BSA 2003.
- Varsity Scout Meeting Attendance (29K PDF) Team 336 Omaha, NE (6/06).
- Varsity Scout Team Meeting Plan Worksheet (30K PDF) BSA 2003.
- Varsity Scout Team Meeting Plan Worksheet (16K PDF) Greater St. Louis Area Council (4/03).
- The Game Plan (Varsity Scout Team Meeting Plan Worksheet) (12K PDF) Utah National Parks Council, Provo District (2001).
Liaisons between a unit and the local District and Council
- Unit Commissioner
- District Commissioner
- Council Commissioner
- National Commissioner
The Team is a registered "unit" with its local council. Other basic units are:
- Pack - Cub Scouting
- Troop - Boy Scouting
- Team - Varsity Scouting
- Crew - Venturing
- Ship - Sea Scouting
- Post - Explorers
- Group - Learning for Life
|Varsity Scout portal|
- Varsity Scouting
- Varsity Scout Program
- Varsity Scout Advancement
- Boy Scouting
- Boy Scout Uniform
- Merit Badges (Worksheets)
Team Advancement Leaders: