|Stalking merit badge
|| BSA Advancement ID:
|| Renamed from:
|| Replaced by:
The Stalking merit badge was one of the original 57 merit badges issued by the Boy Scouts of America in 1911.
It replaced the 1910 Stalker "Badge of Merit".
It was temporarily reissued as Tracking under the 2010 Historic Merit Badge Program.
Stalking merit badge requirements from 1938 until discontinuation in 1952
- Demonstrate by means of a stalking game or otherwise, ability to stalk skillfully in shelter and wind, etc., showing how to proceed noiselessly and "freeze" when occasion demands.
- Know and recognize the tracks of ten different kinds of animals or birds in his vicinity, three of which may be domestic.
- Submit satisfactory evidence that he has trailed two different kinds of wild animals or birds on ordinary ground far enough to determine the direction in which they were going, and their gait or speed. Give names of animals or birds trailed, their direction of travel, and describe gait and speed; or submit satisfactory evidence that he has trailed six different kinds of wild animal or birds in snow, sand, dust, or mud, far enough to determine the direction in which they were going, and their gait or speed. Give names of animals or birds, their direction of travel, and describe gait and speed.
- Submit satisfactory evidence that he has tracked a human being and deduced from the trail whether it was a man or woman, young or old, the gait or speed, and also give any other information deduced.
- Submit evidence the he has scored at least 30 points from the following groups: [Group (f) and 4 of the 5 groups (a), (b), (c), (d), (e) must be represented in the score of 30 and at least 7 points must be scored from (a), (b), or (c)].
- Make a clear recognizable photograph of:
- (a) Live bird away from nest ... 4 points each
- (b) Live woodchuck or smaller wild animal ... 3 points each
- (c) Live wild animal larger than woodchuck ... 4 points each
- (d) Live bird on nest ... 3 points each
- (e) Tracks of live wild animal or bird ... 2 points each
- (f) Make satisfactory plaster cast of wild animal or bird tracks with identification imprint on back of cast ... 2 points each
The text of these requirements is locked and can only be edited by an administrator.
Please note any errors found in the above requirements on this article's Talk Page.