|| Signaller is a discontinued merit badge. However, in honor of the BSA’s 100th Anniversary, Signaller has been named to the BSA’s new Historical Merit Badge Program and can be earned by scouts from January 1, 2010 until December 31, 2010.
|Signaller "Centennial" merit badge
|| 1911, 2010
|| BSA Advancement ID:
|| 1952, 2010
|| Requirements Revision:
Merit badge requirements
- 1. Make an electric buzzer outfit, wireless, blinker, or other signaling device. Send and receive in the International Morse Code, by buzzer or other sound device, a complete message of not less than 35 words, at a rate of not less than 35 letters per minute.
- 2. Demonstrate an ability to send and receive a message in the International Morse Code by wigwag and by blinker or other light signaling device at a rate of not less than 20 letters per minute.
- 3. Send and receive by Semaphore Code at the rate of not less than 30 letters per minute.
- 4. Know the proper application of the International Morse Code and Semaphore Codes; when, where, and how they can be used to best advantage.
- 5. Discuss briefly various other codes and methods of signaling which are in common use.
- Requirement 3: Flag semaphore signal schema (206K PDF) A diagram of flag semaphore signal actions and meanings in arm position order; action sequence required to send and receive a complete message; posing instructions for signaler. (Rev. 2, 3/10)
Related Ranks, Awards, and Merit Badges