Merit badge requirements
- 1. Do the following:
- a. Explain why BB and pellet air guns must always be treated with the same respect as firearms.
- c. Explain the need for, and use and types of, eye and hearing protection.
- d. Give the main points of the laws for owning and using guns in your community and state.
- e. Explain how hunting is related to the wise use of renewable wildlife resources.
- g. Identify and explain how you can join or be a part of shooting sports activities.
- h. Explain to your counselor the proper hygienic guidelines used in shooting.
- 2. Do ONE of the following options:
- OPTION A--RIFLE SHOOTING (MODERN CARTRIDGE TYPE)
- a. Identify the three main parts of a rifle, and tell how they function.
- b. Identify and demonstrate the three fundamental rules for safe gun handling.
- c. Identify the two types of cartridges, their parts, and how they function.
- e. Identify and demonstrate the five fundamentals of shooting a rifle safely.
- f. Identify and explain each rule for safe shooting.
- h. Identify the basic safety rules for cleaning a rifle, and identify the materials needed
- i. Demonstrate how to clean a rifle properly and safely.
- j. Discuss what points you would consider in selecting a rifle
- OPTION B --- AIR RIFLE SHOOTING (BB OR PELLET)
- a. Identify the three main parts of an air rifle, and tell how they function.
- b. Identify and demonstrate the three fundamental rules for handling a rifle safely.
- c. Identify the two most common types of air rifle ammunition.
- d. Identify and demonstrate the five fundamentals of shooting a rifle.
- e. Identify and explain each rule for shooting an air rifle safely.
- g. Identify the basic safety rules for cleaning an air rifle, and identify the materials needed.
- h. Demonstrate how to clean an air rifle safely.
- i. Discuss what points you would consider in selecting an air rifle.
- OPTION C --- MUZZLE - LOADING RIFLE SHOOTING
- a. Discuss a brief history of the development of muzzle-loading rifles.
- b. Identify principal parts of percussion and flintlock rifles and discuss how they function.
- c. Demonstrate and discuss the safe handling rules of muzzle-loading rifles.
- d. Identify the various grades of black powder and their proper use.
- e. Discuss proper safety procedures pertaining to black powder use and storage.
- f. Discuss proper components of a load.
- g. Identify proper procedures and accessories used for loading a muzzle-loading rifle.
- i. Shoot a target with a muzzle-loading rifle using the five fundamentals of firing the shot.
- l. Discuss what points you would consider in selecting a muzzle-loading rifle.
- * Note: It is not always practical to adjust the sights (i.e. when using a borrowed fixed-sight rifle). For requirement 2l, you may demonstrate your ability to use the shooting fundamentals by shooting five shot groups (five shots per group) in which all shots can be covered by or touch a quarter and then explain how to adjust the sights to zero the rifle.
Source: 2007 Boy Scout Requirements (33215)