|Pioneering requires prior counselor approval for requirement(s) #10.|
|Pioneering merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||084|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2008|
|“||Pioneering—the knowledge of ropes, knots, and splices along with the ability to build rustic structures by lashing together poles and spars—is among the oldest of Scouting's skills. Practicing rope use and completing projects with lashings also allow Scouts to connect with past generations, ancestors who used many of these skills as they sailed the open seas and lived in America's forests and prairies.||”|
Pioneering merit badge requirements
| A FREE workbook for Pioneering is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- The BSA Pioneering Troop Program Feature offers meeting and activity plans to include Pioneering as one of your monthly themes.
- Pioneering is a popular summer camp merit badge.
The Troop Pioneering Monthly Theme includes meeting and activity materials.
1. First Aid: Cuts - Abrasions - Bruises - Rope Burns - Blisters - Splinters - Sprains - Heat Reactions - Cold Reactions - Dehydration - Insect Bites - Stings
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See First Aid Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: First Aid Merit Badge Pamphlet - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Guide to Safe Scouting - Physcial
2. Knots and lashings
- Animated Knots: Basic Scout Knots - Forty Scout knots - Special Knots - Sailing knots - Fishing knots - Folsoms Knots - Animatedknots.com - Great Animations - More Animated Knots - More great Animated Knots - Still more - Knot Videos - Basics Videos - Basics2
- Other Knot Links: Advanced knots - Ropers Knots Page - Climbing Knots - Fishing knots - Knots Index
- Notable knot Index - shows quick method of tying
- Step-By-Step knots : 11 Basic knots fit on the front and back of one page.
- Six Boy Scout knots by John Geffre
- All lower rank knots (2MB PDF)
- When to use knots lashings (152K PDF)
- Boy Scout ranks: Tenderfoot - Second Class - First Class
- Boy Scout awards: Firem'n Chit - Totin' Chip - Paul Bunyan Woodsman
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Astronomy - Backpacking - Camping - Canoeing - Climbing - Cooking - Cycling - Fire Safety - Hiking - Orienteering - Pioneering - Rowing - Weather - Water Sports - Whitewater - Wilderness Survival
- Venturing: Outdoor Bronze Award; Ranger Award electives: Backpacking
- Webelos Activity Badges: Forester - Naturalist - Outdoorsman
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Astronomy - Map and Compass - Weather
- The Pioneer Badge was one of the Original Merit Badges from the 1910 BSA Handbook. It was relabeled as the Pioneering Merit Badge in 1911.
General Merit Badge information
- An Introduction to Merit Badges – how to get started, who chooses the counselor, etc.
- Merit Badge Application – offers online resources to let you print "Blue Cards," etc.
- Additionally: List of Merit Badges by Field of Study – Merit Badge Pamphlets & Libraries