| This is the Orienteering Merit Badge.|
Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts can earn the Cub Scout Map and Compass belt loop and pin.
|Orienteering merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||080|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2008|
|“||Orienteering, the use of map and compass to find locations and plan a journey, has been a vital skill for humans for thousands of years. Orienteering is also a recognized sport at the Olympic Games, and thousands of people participate in the sport each year in local clubs and competitions.||”|
Orienteering is required for the National Outdoor Badge in hiking.
| A FREE workbook for Orienteering is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- The BSA Orienteering Troop Program Feature offers meeting and activity plans to include Orienteering as one of your monthly themes.
The Troop Orienteering Monthly Theme includes meeting and activity materials.
1: First aid:
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See First Aid Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: First Aid Merit Badge Pamphlet - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Guide to Safe Scouting - Physcial
3-4: Map & Compass:
- REI:Navigation Basics
- Topographical Maps Free US Geological Survey - Topozone.com - Google Satellite, Street, and Terrain Maps
4c: Online Declination Calculator
6a: International Control Descriptions An online interactive quiz for learning or reviewing the IOF symbols
6ab: 2004 Int'l Specification for Control Descriptions - 17 pages (pdf)
6ab: One Page Control Description Cheat Sheet (pdf)
- Boy Scout ranks: Tenderfoot - Second Class - First Class
- Boy Scout awards: Firem'n Chit - Totin' Chip - Paul Bunyan Woodsman
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Astronomy - Backpacking - Camping - Canoeing - Climbing - Cooking - Cycling - Fire Safety - Hiking - Orienteering - Pioneering - Rowing - Weather - Water Sports - Whitewater - Wilderness Survival
- Venturing: Outdoor Bronze Award; Ranger Award electives: Backpacking
- Webelos Activity Badges: Forester - Naturalist - Outdoorsman
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Astronomy - Map and Compass - Weather
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Archery - Athletics - Climbing - Cycling - Fishing - Fly Fishing - Golf - Horsemanship - Orienteering - Rifle Shooting - Shotgun Shooting - Skating - Small-Boat Sailing - Snow Sports - Sports - Swimming - Water Sports - Whitewater
- Venturing: Sports Bronze Award - Quest Award; Ranger Award electives: Cave Exploration - Cycling - Equestrian - Fishing - Hunting - Mountaineering - COPE - Shooting Sports - Winter Sports
- Webelos Activity Badge: Aquanaut - Athlete - Sportsman
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Archery - Badminton - Baseball - Basketball - BB-Guns - Bicycling - Bowling - Fishing - Flag Football - Golf - Gymnastics - Ice Skating - Marbles - Roller Skating - Snow Sports - Soccer - Softball - Swimming - Table Tennis - Tennis - Ultimate - Volleyball
General Merit Badge information
- An Introduction to Merit Badges – how to get started, who chooses the counselor, etc.
- Merit Badge Application – offers online resources to let you print "Blue Cards," etc.
- Additionally: List of Merit Badges by Field of Study – Merit Badge Pamphlets & Libraries
- Canadian Orienteering Federation
- Intl. Orienteering Federation
- Geocaching to Promote Scouting
- Orienteering Games for the Computer
- Schoolyard Compass Game
- Scout Skills Orienteering Badge UK
- U.S. Geological Survey
- U.S. Orienteering Federation
- AE Orienteering
- The Compass Store
- Orienteering Unlimited
- Orienteer Website