|Music merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2003|
Merit badge requirements
- 1. Sing or play a simple song or hymn chosen by your counselor using good technique, phrasing, tone, rhythm, and dynamics.. Read all the signs and terms of the score.
- 2. Name the five general groups of musical instruments. Create an illustration that shows how tones are generated and how instruments produce sound.
- 3. Do TWO of the following:
- b. Interview your parents and grandparents about music. Find out what the most popular music was when they were your age. Find out what their favorite music is now, and listen to three of their favorite tunes with them. How do their favorites sound to you? Had you ever heard any of them? Play three of your favorite songs for them, and explain to them why you like these songs. Ask them what they think of your favorite music.
- 4. Do ONE of the following:
- b. Compose and write the score for a piece of music of 12 measures or more.
- c. Make a traditional instrument and learn to play it.
- d. Catalog your own or your family's collection of 12 or more compact discs, tapes or records. Show how to handle and store them.
Source: 2007 Boy Scout Requirements (33215)
Merit Badge Worksheets can help Scouts organize notes, listen actively, and document their work. Many worksheets also contain links to free, online video instruction.
Help with these requirements
- For req #2 Classifying Musical Instruments
Help for Composing music theory