| Mile Swim BSA
|Level:||Boy Scouts, Venturers,|
Varsity Scouts, Scouters
The Mile Swim BSA Award patch is not worn on the uniform. It is an aquatic insignia and can be worn on swim trunks. It can also be worn on a jacket or patch vest or placed on blankets, backpacks, or other personal equipment.
Mile Swim BSA requirements
- Explain how regular exercise contributes to good health and why swimming is one of the best forms of exercise.
- Tell what precautions and procedures a swimmer and escort must follow for distance swimming over open water.
- Under the supervision of a currently qualified certified aquatics instructor, BSA or equivalent, participate in four hours of training and preparation for distance swimming (one hour a day maximum).
- Swim 1 mile over a measured course that has been approved by the trained instructor who will supervise the swim.
|| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Boy Scout Requirements, 2016 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #621535)
The text of these requirements may be locked. In that case, they can only be edited by an administrator.
Please note any errors found in the above requirements on this article's Talk Page.
- Unlike most merit badges or other awards, there is no limit to the amount of times a Scout or Scouter may earn this award.
- Be sure you have the proper physical fitness and ability levels before attempting the swim. It is highly advised to complete the Swimming merit badge before attempting the Mile Swim Award.