Merit Badge resources include the Guide for Merit Badge Counselors, Introduction, & FAQ.
The Merit Badge Worksheets & Requirements include the maps, checklists and other materials you need.
Other resources include the online Merit Badge Application and Most Popular Merit Badges
Certain requirements need prior approval but most do not.
Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts may work on merit badges from the time they join a Scout troop until they turn 18 years old. See Merit Badge for more details.
Key Merit Badge Rules
- "Any Boy Scout may earn any merit badge at any time. You don't need to have had rank advancement to be eligible."
- "Scoutmaster will give you the name of a person from a list of counselors."
- "You must have another person with you at each meeting with the merit badge counselor." (youth protection buddy system - scout, friend or relative)
- "You are expected to meet the requirements as they are stated—no more and no less. You are expected to do exactly what is stated in the requirements."
- Note that some Merit Badges Require Prior Approval for certain requirements. The rest do not: " Any Boy Scout may earn any merit badge at any time...You are expected to meet the requirements as they are stated—no more and no less." - Boy Scout Requirements p. 22 - 23.
- The use of Merit Badge Worksheets cannot be added as a requirement by a counselor.
- See the Merit Badge FAQ for answers to many common questions.
|— Boy Scout Requirements, p. 22-23: Online Printed