MeritBadgeDotOrg:Usage standards policy
|This page documents an official MeritBadgeDotOrg policy, an accepted standard that all users should follow. Before editing a page, please make sure that your revision reflects consensus. When in doubt, discuss first on the talk page of the article in question.|
Usage standards policy
Who may use this wiki?
Who may create an account?
In order to create an account (i.e., register) on this web site, you must meet the following criteria — NO EXCEPTIONS!:
- 1.a. You must be a currently BSA-registered, active Scouter (Adult Leader age 18+),
- 1.b. You must be a parent/legal guardian (age 18+) of a currently BSA-registered, active Cub Scout, Webelos Scout, Boy Scout, Explorer, Sea Scout, Varsity Scout, or Venturer
- 2. You must also be a registered (and verified), active User on MeritBadge.Net <- Register there, FIRST! Then come back to the wiki and register.
(NOTE: You must use the same Username on both sites.)
|WARNING! All users of this wiki must abide by BSA Youth Protection, Internet Safety guidelines/policies, and MeritBadgeDotOrg's policies. Specifically, "personally identifiable information" of, by, or about any youth, is strictly prohibited. Articles (typically, User Pages) containing such information will be edited or deleted entirely by an Administrator; and, the User's account may be blocked. (See Internet safety for details.)|
Who may, and may not, edit pages?
- Any registered user who has created an account may edit articles, projects, discussions, or any other unprotected content, on this web site.
- Editing by I.P. Address or anonymously is not permitted on this Wiki.
- Any registered user on this Wiki who ceases to be a BSA-registered Scout(er) must also cease participation on this web site.
What kind of content is allowed?
This site is intended to be a reference site for the existing national programs of the Boy Scouts of America. As such, only materials which support those programs are allowed. Examples of good content include:
- worksheets and other forms which help Scouts work on advancement;
- topic related excerpts from Scouting publications;
- materials created at the local level which are suitable for use by units anywhere
What kind of content is not allowed?
- Discussions of any kind other than the specifics of this web site's maintenance. If you wish to discuss Scouting related topics, please visit MeritBadge.net.
- Developmental information (e.g., proposed new merit badges, proposed policy changes, etc). Many discussions along these lines occur at MeritBadge.net.
- Scouting publications in their entirety. The Scouting movement uses its various publications to raise funds to support their programs. This site does not wish to infringe on this practice.
- Localized materials (i.e., materials which include Scout troop information and/or local council information, etc).
- Materials unrelated to Scouting.
Remember, no localized content please.
What is the primary source of advancement requirements?
The preferred source for requirements for ranks, awards, and badges is the latest edition of Boy Scout Requirements which is updated annually and released at the beginning of the calendar year. There are two exceptions to this rule:
- The BSA releases a small number of new merit badge pamphlets each year. If these updates are released after the current edition of Boy Scout Requirements and if the new requirements are significantly different from those in the Boy Scout Requirements book then the requirements in the merit badge pamphlet should be used.
- Like any publication, the Boy Scout Requirements book will occasionally contain some errors. If the errors are significant then the requirements in the merit badge pamphlet should be used.
What is considered fair use of this web site's content?
Anyone in the Scouting program may use any of the materials contained on this web site in their local programs. This includes all forms, worksheets, requirements, and graphics. Copyrighted Scouting materials featured on this web site are published under Scouting's fair use policies and we pass these policies along to our users. Refer to the policy pages listed below for more information.
- Usage standards policy