m (Status of the forums... update)
m (Updated Sunday, February 21, 2010)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
==Status of the forums==
==Status of the forums==
===Monday, November 2, 2009===
===Monday, November 2, 2009===
Revision as of 10:11, February 21, 2010
Sunday, February 21, 2010
The wiki was backed up today... some administrative (MediaWiki) changes are coming soon, i.e., user rights, security, etc.
Call for editors
We'll also be pushing to add new and/or update changed recent BSA requirements information, which tends to be more and more around the beginning of each year. To that end, we will be recruiting additional/new:
- wiki editors, which can be any BSA-registered adult Scouter and a registered member of MeritBadge.Net.
- wiki Sysops, which can be any BSA-registered adult Scouter and a registered member of MeritBadge.Net (and meet the requirements for Sysops).
We need your help; so, if you are interested, you can contact me via this link: RWSmith
Status of the forums
Monday, November 2, 2009
Well, MeritBadge.Net, aka, The forums, went down a little while ago. Although a bit presumptuous, this appears to be more than a server in need of a mere reboot... We will post updates here, as we dig deeper and have any news to report. —RWSmith (Bureaucrat), 23:15, November 2, 2009 (EST)
- Citizenship page added - one of the three aims of Scouting with links to citizenship awards.
- Troop Program Features Monthly themes added with meeting and activity plans and merit badge links
- Swimming Skills - with video lessons and links for strokes and lifesaving
- Den Leader Getting Started Guide with the meeting plans and resources you need
- Religious Emblems now has photos to show how to wear the devices on the youth knot and a chart of two of the most popular programs
- National Summertime Award now has a chart showing the new pins for each level and when they can be earned. Dozens of activity ideas were added.
- Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award now has great Requirement Resources and dozens of related award links.
- Whittling Chip now has a chart to show that Wolf, Bear, and Webelos Scouts can earn this award. Training curriculum and links are provided.
- Worksheets link on the main sidebar menu guides you to worksheets for the Cub Scout Belt Loops and Pins, Webelos Activity Badge Worksheets and the Boy Scout Merit Badge Worksheets.
- First Aid Skills are the first aid resources you need for over 40 ranks and badges. Videos show you key skills.
- Advancement Campouts are vital to the success of new Scouts.
- Scout Skills outlines skills needed for Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class with resources and links.
- Merit Badge Day tell about the great events and how good they can be.
- This is Scouting has replaced New Leader Essentials.
- Courts of Honor Sample Word DOC files script and program you can edit.
- Philmont Scout Ranch article created with Philmont Training Center information created
- Age-Appropriate Guidelines article created
- Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan article created
- Popcorn has tips for selling popcorn and and why popcorn is so important for every Scout and unit.
- Individual Youth Accounts article created to accompany the new Fundraising article
New and revised pages include:
- New interactive Advancement report added
- Fundraising with the Unit Money Raising form
- Good Turn for America with program details and links
- University of Scouting - MeritBadge.Org is your online University of Scouting with 72 great topics!
- Lion Cub Scouts The Lion Cub Scouts is a new pilot Cub Scout program for boys age 5 or in Kindergarten and their adult partners in the Northern Star Council.
- Exploring became Venturing on August 1, 1998. The term Exploring now refers to a Learning for Life Program.
- Recruiting offers 30 great resources to help you. Shows why your Spring Roundup is as important as your fall roundup. Covers Planning to Follow-up.
- Scout Cheers, Scout Songs, and Scout Skits are a great way to involve everyone in a meeting or campfire.
- Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills also known as Scoutmaster Outdoor.
- New Leader Training is comprised of Fast Start Training, Basic Leader Training, and Leader Specific Training.
- Boy Scouts of America Historical Highlights Key accomplishments in Scouting and by famous Scouts.
- Patrol Leaders' Council article is now complete with good information on Boy-Led troops
- Scout Sunday worship service, bulletin, and other ideas. Also includes Scout Sabbath.
- Doctorate of Commissioner Science Award can be earned by commissioners who provide exemplary service for at least five years.
- Wood Badge tells why you should go to Wood Badge. Lots of great links including the sheet music for: "Back to Gilwell."
- BSA Ready & Prepared Award requirements and links
- Roundtable - what it is and why you should go.
- Webelos Transition tools you need to help you Webelos Bridger into a troop.
- New interactive District Award of Merit Nomination form
- Workbooks and Forms category created.
- Hiking - Music - Electricity - Archery Merit Badge Workbook expanded.
2009 Boy Scout Requirement Changes: The requirements for the following Merit Badges have changed:
|Archery||Architecture||Automotive Maintenance||Cinematography||Coin Collecting|
|Collections||Drafting||Emergency Preparedness||Engineering||Farm Mechanics|
|Indian Lore||Insect Study||Landscape Architecture||Lifesaving||Motorboating|
New Eagle Resources:
- New Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project resources added including the Eagle Project Checklist and the Sample Eagle Project Ideas .
- Eagle Palms has expanded graphics, lists, and the new Eagle Palm Application 58-709.
- The new Medical Records page has everything you need for the new Physical, that replaces the old Class 1, 2, and 3.
Pinewood Derby expanded:
- The Pinewood Derby page is all new along with the Pinewood Derby Official Rules and Pinewood Derby Tips.
- Every page of MeritBadge.Org is now available in dozens of languages! See Languages for details.
Knots have been expanded:
- The Knot page is all new with just the 8 knots you need with animated examples plus new simplified pdf to print.
- The knot theory and terminology have been moved to Advanced Knots.
- More animated knot pages were added: Special knots, Sailing knots, and Fishing knots.
- New Cub Scout Leader Outdoor Training Articles
- BALOO - In order for a Cub Scout Pack to have a campout, at least one leader must be BALOO trained.
- Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders - To have a Webelos Den campout, at least one leader should have completed Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders.
- Basic Leader Training has been converted from a stub to a real page with everything you need.
- Other new resources have been added!
- Flag Ceremonies has been added showing basic opening and closing ceremonies a Cub Scout or Boy Scout can learn.
- Pack Meeting shows how to have great Pack Meetings and increase attendance by using the BSA program to it's fullest.
- The Positions of Responsibility have been greatly expanded with positions in Varsity Teams, Venture Crews, etc.
- New Boy Scout Rank Workbooks added for
Webelos Badge and Webelos Arrow of Light workbooks created and links expanded
Merit Badges Earned is updated & expanded - all 12 pages now in one table. Sortable on any column, links added to every current merit badge.
Emergency Kit and First Aid Kit - Completely revised with new materials from GSS and new Emergency Preparedness book
Guide to Safe Scouting stub turned into a full article with dozens of links to chapter content
Adult Leader page created - We use some version of this term on over 150 pages but we never explained what it means.
Friends of Scouting page created with printable recourses and a list of 250 companies with matching programs.
- Mobile/PDA interface New Mobile version of MeritBadge.Org
- Just enter m.meritbadge.org on most web enabled cell phones and iPods. Full link: http://m.meritbadge.org
- Merit Badge application - including the online printable Word DOC file version!
- Scouter Awards with a dozen new award pages added
Key new articles included:
- Boy Scout Resident Camp - all about Boy Scout Summer Camp
- Cub Scout Resident Camp - all about Cub Scout and Webelos Resident Camp
- Cub Scout Day Camp - more fun than you can stand!
- Essentials for the Outdoors Checklists for everything from a day hike to an overnighter and more.
2009 Boy Scout Requirement Changes Pages and Worksheets update for:
|Architecture||Emergency Preparedness||Insect Study||Painting|
|Automotive Maintenance||Engineering||Landscape Architecture||Pottery|
|Coin Collecting||Farm Mechanics||Lifesaving||Radio|
Advancement Policies pages added and updated. New navbox created:
- Fast Tracks added:
- Fast Tracks for Tiger Cub Scouts (1st grade)
- Fast Tracks for Wolf Cub Scouts (2nd grade)
- Fast Tracks for Bear Cub Scouts (3rd grade)
- Fast Tracks for 4th grade Webelos Scouts - Also see: Webelos Scout Program
- Fast Tracks for 5th grade Webelos Scouts - Only for Scouts who completed the 4th grade Fast Track
- Cub Scouts at all levels can also earn the Belt Loops and Pins.