Safety Afloat, Safe Swim Defense, and links to related Merit Badges and Boy Scout Awards.
Lifesaving is a popular Summer Camp Merit badge and an option for Eagle Scout. -
|Lifesaving and other award requirements were revised on January 1, 2009.|
| This is the Boy Scout Lifesaving Merit Badge.|
Venturers can work on the Lifesaver Ranger Award elective
The Lifesaving and Meritorious Awards may be awarded at any level.
|Lifesaving merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||009|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2009|
| A FREE workbook for Lifesaving is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Per the BSA: "You should read the merit badge pamphlet on the subject." Pamphlets (books) are at local Scout Shops and online at ScoutStuff.org.
- "Get a signed Merit Badge application from your Scoutmaster." An online, printable Word doc file version is available.
- Lifesaving merit badge is on the Eagle Scout required list (requirement 3.g.). It is one choice of a group of two merit badges on the list.
- The merit badge pamphlet for this merit badge was revised in 2008. There were NO changes to the requirements for this badge. However, the footnote shown below, relative to alternative requirements for the Second Class and First Class rank swimming requirements was deleted.
- 1: Swimming
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See Swimming Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: Swimming & Lifesaving Merit Badge Pamphlets - Guide to Safe Scouting - Safe Swim Defense - Safety Afloat
Related Ranks, Awards, and Merit Badges
- Aquatics Award Links
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Canoeing - Kayaking - Lifesaving - Motorboating - Rowing - Scuba Diving - Small-Boat Sailing - Swimming - Water Sports - Whitewater
- Boy Scouts ranks and awards: Second Class - First Class - BSA Lifeguard - Boardsailing BSA - Kayaking BSA - Mile Swim BSA - Scuba BSA - Snorkeling BSA - BSA Swim Test
- Venturing: Ranger Award electives: Lifesaving - Scuba - Watercraft; Sea Scout Bronze Award - Sea Scout Ranks: Apprentice - Ordinary - Able - Quartermaster
- Webelos Activity Badge: Aquanaut
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Cub Scout Swimming
- Emergency Preparedness Awards
Emergency Preparedness-related awards
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Crime Prevention - Emergency Preparedness - Fire Safety - First Aid - Lifesaving - Public Health - Safety- Traffic Safety
- Webelos Activity Badge: Readyman
- Others Links: First Aid Skills - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Safe Swim Defense - Safety Afloat - Guide to Safe Scouting: First Aid
- Venturing: Ranger Award-Emergency Preparedness Requirement
Merit Badge information
- An Introduction to Merit Badges – how to get started, who chooses the counselor, etc.
- Merit Badge Worksheets & Requirements – with the revision dates, diagrams, charts, checklists, logs, and links you need.
- Merit Badge Application – offers online resources to let you print "Blue Cards," etc.
- Merit Badge FAQ – answers dozens of questions like: Who can be a counselor? Can requirements be added or removed?
- Merit Badges Requiring Prior Approval – Certain requirements need prior approval. Most do not. Here is the list.
- Also see: Most Popular Merit Badges – Merit Badge Policies – Eagle-Required Merit Badges – Merit Badge Days
- Additionally: List of Merit Badges by Field of Study – Merit Badge Pamphlets & Libraries
- Merit Badge Counselors must complete Youth Protection Training, file an Adult Application (and Merit Badge Counselor Information Form); and be approved by the local council. (See the Guide for Merit Badge Counselors for additional details.)