Merit badge requirements
- 1. Define "law." Tell some of its sources. Describe functions it serves.
- 2. Discuss TWO of the following:
- a. The Justinian Code, The Code of Hammurabi, and the Magna Carta.
- b. The development of the jury system.
- c. Two famous trials in history.
- 3. Tell what civil law is; tell what criminal law is. Tell the main differences between them. Give examples of each.
- 4. Ask five people (not more than one from your immediate family) about the role of law enforcement officers in our society. Discuss their answers with them. Go to a law enforcement officer in your neighborhood and ask about his or her responsibilities and duties. Report your findings.
- 5. Tell about several laws that were passed to protect the consumer and the seller. Tell about several organizations that provide help to consumers and sellers.
- 6. Do ONE of the following:
- a. Attend a session of a civil or criminal court. Write 250 words or more on what you saw.
- b. Plan and conduct a mock trial with your troop or school class. After the trial is over, discuss it with the group.
- 7. Arrange a visit with a lawyer who works for a business, bank, title company, or government agency. Find out his or her duties and responsibilities. Report what you learned.
- 8. Explain the requirements for becoming a lawyer in your state. Describe how judges are selected in your state.
- 9. Make a list of 15 jobs which deal with some aspect of law or legal processes. Tell which you prefer. Why?
- 10. Tell where people can go to obtain the help of a lawyer if they are unable to pay for one. Tell what you can do if you can afford a lawyer but do not know of any in your area.
- 11. Discuss with your counselor the importance of TWO of the following areas of law that have recently emerged and are still developing:
- a. Environmental law
- b. Computers and the Internet
- c. Copyright and the Internet
- d. Space travel and satellites orbiting the earth
Source: 2007 Boy Scout Requirements (33215)