| Kayaking BSA
This patch is not worn on the uniform.
It is aquatic insignia and can be worn on swim trunks.
|Level:||Boy Scouts, Venturers, Varsity Scouts|
Kayaking BSA requirements
- Before fulfilling the following requirements, successfully complete the BSA Swimmer test.
- Do the following:
- a. Describe various types of kayaks and how they differ in design, materials, and purpose.
- b. Name the parts of the kayak you are using for this exercise.
- c. Demonstrate how to choose an appropriately sized kayak paddle and how to position your hands.
- Do the following:
- a. Tell what precautions must be taken for a safe trip afloat.
- b. Demonstrate how to select and properly fit a PFD.
- c. Explain the importance of safety equipment such as PFD's, air bags, grab loops, and helmets.
- Demonstrate your ability to aid yourself and others in the event of a capsize:
- a. Capsize your kayak in water at least seven feet deep, perform a wet exit if necessary, and swim the boat to shore.
- b. With assistance, if needed, ready the capsized craft for use.
- c. Show how to approach a capsized paddler in your kayak and tow him to shore.
- d. While upright in your kayak, right a capsized kayak, empty it of water, and assist the paddler aboard without returning to shore.
- As a solo paddler, demonstrate the following:
- a. Entering and launching a kayak from shore or dock.
- b. Landing or docking and exiting a kayak.
- c. Forward stroke
- d. Sweep stroke
- e. Reverse sweep
- f. Draw stroke
- g. Rudder stroke
- h. Back stroke
- As a solo paddler, do the following:
- a. Paddle forward in a reasonably straight line.
- b. Move the kayak sideways to the right and to the left.
- c. Pivot 360 degrees to the right and left.
- d. Stop the kayak.
|| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Boy Scout Requirements, 2014 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #637685)
The text of these requirements may be locked. In that case, they can only be edited by an administrator.
Please note any errors found in the above requirements on this article's Talk Page.
Related Ranks, Awards, and Merit Badges
- Aquatic Awards Links