The Historian preserves troop/team photographs, news stories, trophies, flags, scrapbooks, awards, and other memorabilia.
- Gathers pictures and facts about troop/team activities and keeps them in a historical file or scrapbook.
- Takes care of troop/team trophies, ribbons, and souvenirs of troop/team activities.
- Keeps information about former members of the troop/team.
- Sets a good example.
- Enthusiastically and correctly wears the Scout uniform (all four parts).
- Lives by the Scout Oath and Law.
- Shows Scout spirit.
- In a Varsity Scout team, serving as Team Historian can apply towards positions of responsibility requirements for Star and Life but NOT Eagle.
The Historian is the youth historian leader in its unit. Other youth historian leaders are:
- Ranks requiring a Positions of Responsibility
- Star Rank #5 "While a First Class Scout, serve actively 4 months in one or more of the following positions..."
- Life Rank #5 "While a Star Scout, serve actively 6 months in one or more of the positions of responsibility..."
- Eagle Scout Rank #4 "While a Life Scout, serve actively for a period of 6 months in one or more of the following positions of responsibility..." (reduced list)
- See also: National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) - a fun, six-day outdoor learning course.