| Hiking merit badge is an option for the Eagle Scout rank.|
Scouts can choose to earn Cycling or Swimming instead.
|Hiking merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||061|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2007|
|“||Hiking is a terrific way to keep your body and mind in top shape, both now and for a lifetime. Walking packs power into your legs and makes your heart and lungs healthy and strong. Exploring the outdoors challenges you with discoveries and new ideas. Your senses will improve as you use your eyes and ears to gather information along the way.||”|
Hiking merit badge is required for the National Outdoor Badge for Hiking.
Hiking merit badge requirements
- If you start Hiking early and complete requirements 1-4, then the hikes in requirements 5 and 6 can be used in fulfilling Second Class Rank (2a) and First Class Rank (3) rank requirements.
- The BSA Hiking Troop Program Feature offers meeting and activity plans to include Hiking as one of your monthly themes.
- Hiking is a popular merit badge.
The Troop Hiking Monthly Theme includes meeting and activity materials.
1. First aid: Hypothermia - Heatstroke - Heat Exhaustion - Frostbite - Dehydration - Sunburn - Sprained Ankle - Insect Stings - Tick Bites - Snakebite - Blisters - Hyperventilation - Altitude Sickness
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See First Aid Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: First Aid Merit Badge Pamphlet - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Guide to Safe Scouting - Physcial
- Hiking Links: Leave No Trace - Essentials - Amer. Hiking Soc.: Safety - Food - Cold - Myths - Footwear -
- REI: Compass - Day Hike - Food - Hydration - Insects - Layering - Lightweight - Navigation - Rain - Socks - Sun - Hot/Cold
3. A blank conditioning plan is in the Hiking Worksheet.
4-5. Blank 10-mile Hike Plans are in the Hiking Worksheet.
6. A blank 20-mile Hike Plan is in the Hiking Worksheet.
7. A blank report is in the Hiking Worksheet.
|General Merit Badge information
- Backpacker Magazine
- Hiking First Aid Tips
- Rails to Trails Converted railroad routes throughout the country.