|Gardening merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2005|
Merit badge requirements
- 1. Do the following:
- a. Grow six vegetables, three from seeds and three from seedlings, through harvesting.
- b. Grow six flowers, three from seeds and three from seedlings, through flowering.
- 2. Give the food value of the following:
- a. Three root or tuber crops.
- b. Three vegetables that bear above the ground.
- c. Three fruits.
- 3. Test 100 garden seeds for germination. Determine the percentage of seeds that germinate. Explain why you think some did not germinate.
- 4. Visit your county extension agent’s office, local university agricultural college, nursery, or a botanical garden or arboretum. Report on what you learned.
- 5. Identify five garden pests (insects, diseased plants). Recommend two solutions for each pest. At least one of the two solutions must be an organic method.
- 6. Do ONE of the following:
- a. Build a compost bin and maintain it for 90 days.
- b. Build a vermipost bin (worm compost bin) and maintain it for 90 days.
- c. Build a hydroponic garden containing three vegetables or herbs, or three ornamental plants. Maintain this garden through harvest or flowering, or for 90 days.
- d. Build one water garden, either in a container (at least 12 by 6 inches and 6 inches deep), or in the ground as a small, decorative pond no larger than 6 by 3 feet and 24 inches deep. Maintain the water garden for 90 days.
Source: 2007 Boy Scout Requirements (33215)
Merit Badge Worksheets can help Scouts organize notes, listen actively, and document their work. Many worksheets also contain links to free, online video instruction.
1. This badge is one of the elective merit badges of the William T. Hornaday Awards for Boy Scouts.
Help with these requirements
- 2: The Food Coach: Food Value Database
- 5: Common Garden Pests A comprehensive guide on garden pests and how to get rid of them.
- 6a: How to Build a Compost Bin Several designs from the University of Missouri.
- 6c: Building a Floating Hydroponic Garden From the University of Florida.
- 6d: How to Build a Water Garden Illustrated.