(Difference between revisions)
(→External links: added links)
m (1 revision)
Revision as of 19:08, April 24, 2008
|Gardening merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||055|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2005|
- 1. Do the following:
- a. Grow six vegetables, three from seeds and three from seedlings, through harvesting.
- b. Grow six flowers, three from seeds and three from seedlings, through flowering.
- 2. Give the food value of the following:
- a. Three root or tuber crops.
- b. Three vegetables that bear above the ground.
- c. Three fruits.
- 3. Test 100 garden seeds for germination. Determine the percentage of seeds that germinate. Explain why you think some did not germinate.
- 4. Visit your county extension agent’s office, local university agricultural college, nursery, or a botanical garden or arboretum. Report on what you learned.
- 5. Identify five garden pests (insects, diseased plants). Recommend two solutions for each pest. At least one of the two solutions must be an organic method.
- 6. Do ONE of the following:
- a. Build a compost bin and maintain it for 90 days.
- b. Build a vermipost bin (worm compost bin) and maintain it for 90 days.
- c. Build a hydroponic garden containing three vegetables or herbs, or three ornamental plants. Maintain this garden through harvest or flowering, or for 90 days.
- d. Build one water garden, either in a container (at least 12 by 6 inches and 6 inches deep), or in the ground as a small, decorative pond no larger than 6 by 3 feet and 24 inches deep. Maintain the water garden for 90 days.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Boy Scout Requirements, 2016 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #621535)
| A FREE workbook for Gardening is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
1. This badge is one of the elective merit badges of the William T. Hornaday Awards for Boy Scouts.
- 2: The Food Coach: Food Value Database
- 5: Common Garden Pests A comprehensive guide on garden pests and how to get rid of them.
- 6a: How to Build a Compost Bin Several designs from the University of Missouri.
- 6c: Building a Floating Hydroponic Garden From the University of Florida.
- 6d: How to Build a Water Garden Illustrated.
- American Horticultural Society
- Aquaculture Information Network
- Common Garden Pests
- Home and Garden Television
- Garden Web
- Growing Herbs in the Home Garden
- The Garden Gate
- The Gardener's Guide to Finding Answers on the Internet
- Master Gardeners
- National Gardening Association
- Old Farmer's Almanac
- Trust for Public Land
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- U.S. National Arboretum
- World Aquaculture Society
- USDA National Organic Program
- World’s Healthiest Foods