(Difference between revisions)
m (Webelos Forester Activity Badge moved to Forester: To allow the Worksheet Link Template to work correctly and to be consistent with the Merit Badge nomenclature.)
Revision as of 18:33, March 11, 2008
Do five of these:
- 1. Make a map of the United States. Show the types of forests growing in different parts of the country. Name some kinds of trees that grow in these forests.
- 2. Draw a picture to show the plant and tree layers of a forest in your area. Label the different layers. (If you don't live in an area that has forests, choose an area that does and draw a picture of that forest.)
- 3. Identify six forest trees common to the area where you live. Tell how both wildlife and humans use them. (If you don't live in a region that has forests, read about one type of forest and name six of its trees and their uses.)
- 4. Identify six forest plants (other than trees) that are useful to wildlife. Tell which animals use them and for what purposes.
- 5. Draw a picture showing:
- how water and minerals in the soil help a tree grow
- how the tree uses sunlight to help it grow
- 6. Make a poster showing a tree's growth rings or examine the growth rings of a tree stump. Explain how the rings tell its life history.
- 7. Collect pieces of three kinds of wood used for building houses. Tell what kinds of wood they are and one place each of them might be used.
- 8. Plant 20 forest tree seedlings. Tell how you planted them and what you did to take care of them after planting.
- 9. Describe both the benefits and the harm wildfires can cause in a forest ecosystem. Tell how you can prevent wildfire.
- 10. Draw your own urban forestry plan for adding trees to a street, yard, or park near your home. Show what types of trees you would like to see planted.
| A FREE workbook for Forester is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
Help with these requirements