(move quote, remove duplicate external link)
|Line 12:||Line 12:|
Revision as of 12:01, February 5, 2013
| This is the Fishing merit badge for Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturers.|
Venturers can also complete the Fishing elective for the Ranger Award.
Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturers can also earn the Fly Fishing merit badge.
|Fishing merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||052|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2009|
|“||Every Scout ought to be able to fish in order to get food for himself. A tenderfoot [beginner] who starved on the bank of a river full of fish would look very silly, yet it might happen to one who had never learned to catch fish.||”|
Fishing is one of the elective merit badges for the William T. Hornaday awards for Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts.
Fishing merit badge requirements
- Please be aware that there are Fish eating advisories in several areas of the continental US. The cooking requirement does not require you to eat the fish you catch, just to cook a fish. You may wish to obtain a fish from the market to cook and eat. Click here for an example fish consumption advisory.
- The BSA Fishing Troop Program Feature offers meeting and activity plans to include Fishing as one of your monthly themes.
- Fishing is a popular summer camp merit badge.
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See First Aid Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: First Aid Merit Badge Pamphlet - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Guide to Safe Scouting - Physcial
- Clinch knot, Palomar knot, Turle knot, Blood loop or Barrel knot, and Surgeon's loop.
- Animated Knots: Basic Scout Knots - Forty Scout knots - Special Knots - Sailing knots - Fishing knots - Folsoms Knots - Animatedknots.com - Great Animations - More Animated Knots - More great Animated Knots - Still more - Knot Videos - Basics Videos - Basics2
- Other Knot Links: Advanced knots - Ropers Knots Page - Climbing Knots - Fishing knots - Knots Index
5. Fishing Lures: Cabela's - Bass Pro Shop
6. Leave No Trace
7. Fishing Licenses and Laws for your state
8. Outdoor Code
9. Cooking Fish including a dozen videos on how to fillet and cook, sanitaiton, and fish recipes.
- The Boy Scout Handbook is the primary reference. See Cooking Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: Cooking Merit Badge Pamphlet - Food Pyramid - Meal Planning - Recipes - Food Handling - Dutch Oven Cooking
- Cooking Gear: REI: Cookware - BSA Cooking Gear - REI: Stoves - Stove Safety
- Dutch Oven Cooking: International Dutch Oven Society - USScouts.Org - MacScouter - dutchovencookware.com
|General Merit Badge information