| This is the Boy Scout Fishing Merit Badge|
Boy Scouts can also earn the Fly Fishing Merit Badge
Cub Scouts & Webelos Scouts can earn the Cub Scout Fishing Belt Loop & Pin
Venturers can work on the Fishing Ranger Award elective
|Fishing merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||052|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2008|
1. Do the following:
2. Discuss the differences between two types of fishing outfits. Point out and identify the parts of several types of rods and reels. Explain how and when each would be used. Review with your counselor how to care for this equipment.
3. Demonstrate the proper use of two different types of fishing equipment.
4. Demonstrate how to tie the following knots: improved clinch, Palomar, turle, blood loop (barrel knot), and double surgeon's loop. Explain how and when each knot is used.
5. Name and identify five basic artificial lures and five natural baits and explain how to fish with them. Explain why bait fish are not to be released.
6. Do the following:
7. Obtain and review the regulations affecting game fishing where you live. Explain why they were adopted and what you accomplish by following them.
8. Explain what good outdoor sportsmanlike behavior is and how it relates to anglers. Tell how the Outdoor Code of the Boy Scouts of America relates to a fishing sports enthusiast, including the aspects of littering, trespassing, courteous behavior, and obeying fishing regulations.
9. Catch at least one fish and identify it. If regulations and health concerns permit, clean and cook a fish you have caught. Otherwise, acquire a fish and cook it.
- Please be aware that there are Fish eating advisories in several areas of the continental US. The cooking requirement does not require you to eat the fish you catch, just to cook a fish. You may wish to obtain a fish from the market to cook and eat. Click here for an example fish consumption advisory.
- This badge is one of the elective merit badges of the William T. Hornaday Awards for Boy Scouts.
- 1: First Aid Videos: Make a First Aid Kit - Basics - Basics2 - CPR Basics
- 2: Fishing equipment: Cabela's - Bass Pro Shop
- 3: Fishing Videos: Basics for Kids - Advanced Fishing - How to fillet a fish
- 4: Animated Knots - More - Still more - Sea Scout
- 5: Fishing Lures: Cabela's - Bass Pro Shop
- 6: Leave No Trace
- 7: Fishing Licenses and Laws for your state
- 8: Outdoor Code
- 9: How to fillet a fish
|General Merit Badge information