This certification grants a Scout the right to carry matches and build campfires. The Scout must show his Scout leader, or someone designated by his leader, that he understands his responsibility to do the following:
- 1. I have read and understand use and safety rules from the Boy Scout Handbook.
- 2. I will build a campfire only when necessary and when I have the necessary permits (regulations vary by locality).
- 3. I will minimize campfire impacts or use existing fire lays consistent with the principles of Leave No Trace. I will check to see that all flammable material is cleared at least 5 feet in all directions from fire (total 10 feet).
- 4. I will safely use and store fire starting materials.
- 5. I will see that fire is attended to at all times.
- 6. I will make sure that water and/or a shovel is readily available. I will promptly report any wildfire to the proper authorities.
- 7. I will use the cold-out test to make sure the fire is cold out and will make sure the fire lay is cleaned before I leave it.
- 8. I will follow the Outdoor Code and the principles of Leave No Trace.
The Scout's "Firem'n Rights" can be taken from him if he fails in his responsibility.
Source: 2007 Boy Scout Requirements (33215)