Fast Start Training
Fast Start Training is available online: BSA Online Learning Center.
Fast Start Training is the first step for any new volunteer and is to be delivered immediately after a new leader registers and before he or she meets with any youth member. Fast Start training provides immediate help for the new leader by providing information and examples for planning and conducting the first meeting. This self-study training is available online, on VHS and DVD, and CD-ROM.
When new leaders are selected in Scouting, it is essential that they receive immediate information that will help them get started. Proper training lays the groundwork for success in their leadership roles. This training will help new leaders understand what is expected and establish effective meeting patterns so that the boys and their families can enjoy a quality program from the start.
As the first step in the training continuum, Fast Start Training is meant to provide all the information and resources for new leaders to conduct their first meeting, along with guidance for the meetings that follow. All new leaders receive the Fast Start materials as soon as they are recruited and are encouraged to participate in Basic Leader Training and roundtables.
Self-study, rather than group training, is the preferred method for Fast Start Training. This gives the new leader the opportunity to learn at his or her own pace.
Fast Start Training Online
Boy Scouting (all positions)
Venturing (all positions)
ScoutParents Unit Coordinator
Online or classroom Leader Training
Youth protection (MANDATORY) – every registered adult must be re-certified every two years.
- Fast Start Training – online training you can take right now.
- Leader Specific Training – provides the specialized knowledge a new leader needs.
BSA Online Learning Center Training courses can be completed online at my.Scouting Tools by selecting Home, then My Dashboard.
- Other: This Is Scouting (formerly New Leader Essentials) – Roundtable – University of Scouting – Trainer’s EDGE (formerly Trainer Development Conference)
Outdoor Leader Training
In addition to fulfilling other requirements, some unit leaders need outdoor-specific training.
- Cub Scout Pack: BALOO – To have a Pack camp-out, at least one unit leader must be BALOO trained.
- Webelos Den Leaders: Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders (OWL) – To have a Webelos Den camp-out.
- Scoutmaster & Assistants and Varsity Scout Coach & Assistants: Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills – To have a camp-out.
- Wood Badge – Advanced Leadership skills for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, Venturing, district and council Scouters.
- Seabadge – Advanced Leadership skills for unit, district and council Sea Scouters.