|Cub Scout Denner|
A Denner is a Cub Scout or Webelos Scout who is elected to be the temporary youth leader of his den or patrol. All Tiger, Wolf, and Bear dens as well as Webelos Patrols should elect a Denner. A den may elect a new Denner every few weeks, monthly, or other term. The Denner wears the gold double-strand Denner shoulder cord No. 00368 over his left shoulder.
The Denner position provides many important benefits to the boy and to the den:
- Denners learn about leadership and responsibility.
- The Denner position is preparing boys to be Patrol Leaders in Boy Scouts.
- The Denner program helps insure that each family shares in helping the den leader.
- Scouts and parents who are allowed to help are more like to stay in Scouts.
- Denners are recognized by being allowed to wear the Denner's gold cords.
Certain ranks require that every boy serve as Denner. Also, the Denner leads the flag and opening ceremony as required for various ranks. However a popular boy who is re-elected may deny others the opportunity to learn and advance. For this reason, the Den Leader may decide that boys who have already served as Denner may not be elected again until every other boy has had a turn. Alternately, a single Denner election may be held at the beginning of the year to determine the Denner schedule for the year, with new den leaders rotating monthly or of every few weeks.
- Help with den meeting setup.
- Lead the opening ceremony (flag, oath, law).
- Take the Den Attendance and dues meetings.
- Help with the meeting activities.
- Provide simple refreshments such as cookies and cups of juice.
- Lead the closing ceremony.
- Help with den meeting cleanup.
- Help with other responsibilities as assigned by the Den Leader.
The Assistant Denner assists the Denner at den meetings and fills in for the Denner when the Denner is not available. The Den Leader may establish a practice of the Assistant Denner becoming the Denner in the next term. This way the Assistant Denner can watch and learn from the Denner so that he will be ready for the next term. Using this approach, the Assistant Denner is elected each month to become the Denner the next month.
The Assistant Denner wears the gold single-strand Assistant Denner shoulder cord No. 00385 over his left shoulder.