Cub Scout Swimming
Belt Loop and Pin
Swimming Sports Belt Loop
The Cub Scout Swimming belt loop and pin are a part of the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program. Tiger Cub, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos Scouts may earn this award in a Family, Den, Pack, school, or community setting. Tiger Cubs must be always accompanied by their Adult partner.
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- 1. Explain rules of Safe Swim Defense. Emphasize the buddy system.
- 2. Play a recreational game in the water with your den, pack, or family.
- 3. While holding a kick board, propel yourself 25 feet using a flutter kick across the shallow end of the swimming area.
Sports Pin Requirements
Earn the Swimming belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- 1. Practice the breathing motion of the crawl stroke while standing in shallow water. Take a breath, place your head in the water, exhale, and turn your head to the side to take a breath. Repeat.
- 2. Learn two of the following strokes: crawl, backstroke, elementary backstroke, sidestroke, or breaststroke.
- 3. Learn two of the following floating skills: jellyfish float, turtle float, canoe (prone) float.
- 4. Using a kickboard, demonstrate three kinds of kicks.
- 5. Pass the "beginner" or "swimmer" swim level test.
- 6. Visit with a lifeguard and talk about swimming safety in various situations (pool, lake, river, ocean). Learn about the training a lifeguard needs for his or her job.
- 7. Explain the four rescue techniques: Reach, Throw, Row, and Go (with support)
- 8. Take swimming lessons.
- 9. Attend a swim meet at a school or community pool.
- 10. Tread water for 30 seconds.
- 11. Learn about a U.S. swimmer who has earned a medal in the Olympics
- 12. Demonstrate the proper use of a mask and snorkel in a swimming area where your feet can touch the bottom.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2003 Edition (BSA Supply No. 34299)
Help with these requirements
- Sports Pin Requirement 5: Classification of Swimming Ability
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
Webelos Scouts that earn the Swimming Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout also satisfy requirement 8 for the Webelos Aquanaut Activity Badge and part of requirement 3 for the Webelos Sportsman Activity Badge.