Cub Scout Swimming
Belt Loop and Pin
Swimming Sports Belt Loop
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain rules of Safe Swim Defense. Emphasize the buddy system.
- Play a recreational game in the water with your den, pack, or family.
- While holding a kick board, propel yourself 25 feet using a flutter kick across the shallow end of the swimming area.
Sports Pin Requirements
Earn the Swimming belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Practice the breathing motion of the crawl stroke while standing in shallow water. Take a breath, place your head in the water, exhale, and turn your head to the side to take a breath. Repeat.
- Learn two of the following strokes: crawl, backstroke, elementary backstroke, sidestroke, or breaststroke.
- Learn two of the following floating skills: jellyfish float, turtle float, canoe (prone) float.
- Using a kickboard, demonstrate three kinds of kicks.
- Pass the "beginner" or "swimmer" swim level test.
- Visit with a lifeguard and talk about swimming safety in various situations (pool, lake, river, ocean). Learn about the training a lifeguard needs for his or her job.
- Explain the four rescue techniques: Reach, Throw, Row, and Go (with support)
- Take swimming lessons.
- Attend a swim meet at a school or community pool.
- Tread water for 30 seconds.
- Learn about a U.S. swimmer who has earned a medal in the Olympics
- Demonstrate the proper use of a mask and snorkel in a swimming area where your feet can touch the bottom.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2016 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #621535)
Help with these requirements
| A FREE workbook for Cub Scout Swimming is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
Help with these requirements
- Sports Pin Requirement 5: Classification of Swimming Ability
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- Wolf Achievement 1h. could be met while completing Cub Scout Swimming Pin requirement 2
- Wolf Achievement 1i. could be met while completing Cub Scout Swimming Pin requirement 10
- Wolf Electives
- Wolf Elective 20o. could be partially met while completing Cub Scout Swimming Belt Loop requirement 2
- Bear Cub Scout
- Achievement 23e. could be met by completing Cub Scout Swimming Pin requirement 9
- Bear Electives
- Bear Elective 19b. could be met while completing Cub Scout Swimming Pin requirement 2
- Bear Elective 19c. could be met while completing Cub Scout Swimming Pin requirement 3
- Bear Elective 19d. could be met while completing Cub Scout Swimming Belt Loop requirement 1
- Bear Elective 20f. would be met by earning the Cub Scout Swimming Pin
- Aquanaut Activity Badge requirement 8. (earn the Cub Scout Swimming Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)
- Sportsman Activity Badge requirement 3. (earn the Cub Scout Swimming Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)