Cub Scout Snow Ski and Board Sports
| Snow Ski and Board Sports|
Belt Loop and Pin
Snow Ski and Board Sports Sports Belt Loop
The Cub Scout Snow Ski and Board Sports belt loop and pin are a part of the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program. Tiger Cub, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos Scouts may earn this award in a Family, Den, Pack, school, or community setting. Tiger Cubs must be always accompanied by their Adult partner.
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- 1. Explain the conditioning, clothing, equipment, and planning needed for snow skiing or boarding.
- 2. Explain "Your Responsibility Code," the rules of safety and courtesy for the slopes. (See "Your Responsibility Code" on the back of this page. (Click here to see "Your Responsibility Code")
- 3. Go skiing or snow boarding. Demonstrate how to stop and turn.
Sports Pin Requirements
Earn the Snow Ski and Board Sports belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- 1. Explain the different kinds of ski lifts, such as a rope tow and "fixed grip" and "detachable" chair lifts.
- 2. Describe the five universal symbols used to indicate ski trail difficulty.
- 3. Demonstrate how to hold your position and get up from a fall.
- 4. Demonstrate how to fall safely to avoid injury.
- 5. Explain why it is important to protect nature and wildlife while skiing or snowboarding.
- 6. Practice skiing or snowboarding for at least five hours. You can do this in more than one day.
- 7. Explain what to do if you see a skiing or snow boarding accident. Discuss the dangers of avalanche.
- 8. Take a skiing or snow boarding lesson.
- 9. View a video on skiing or snow boarding.
- 11. Talk with a member of a ski patrol and learn about the job he or she does at the ski slope.
- 12. Learn about an Olympian who competed in skiing or snowboarding and report to your den.
- Earning the Cub Scout Snow Ski and Board Sports Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout is an option for requirement 3 of the Sportsman Activity Badge.
- Details on earning a Cub Scout Sports or Academic pin or belt loop multiple times