Cub Scout Snow Ski and Board Sports
| Snow Ski and Board Sports|
Belt Loop and Pin
Snow Ski and Board Sports Sports Belt Loop
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain the conditioning, clothing, equipment, and planning needed for snow skiing or boarding.
- Explain "Your Responsibility Code," the rules of safety and courtesy for the slopes. (See "Your Responsibility Code" on the back of this page. (Click here to see "Your Responsibility Code")
- Go skiing or snow boarding. Demonstrate how to stop and turn.
Sports Pin Requirements
Earn the Snow Ski and Board Sports belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Explain the different kinds of ski lifts, such as a rope tow and "fixed grip" and "detachable" chair lifts.
- Describe the five universal symbols used to indicate ski trail difficulty.
- Demonstrate how to hold your position and get up from a fall.
- Demonstrate how to fall safely to avoid injury.
- Explain why it is important to protect nature and wildlife while skiing or snowboarding.
- Practice skiing or snowboarding for at least five hours. You can do this in more than one day.
- Explain what to do if you see a skiing or snow boarding accident. Discuss the dangers of avalanche.
- Take a skiing or snow boarding lesson.
- View a video on skiing or snow boarding.
- Talk with a member of a ski patrol and learn about the job he or she does at the ski slope.
- Learn about an Olympian who competed in skiing or snowboarding and report to your den.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2015 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #620714)
Help with these requirements
| A FREE workbook for Cub Scout Snow Ski and Board Sports is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- Sportsman Activity Badge requirement 3. (earn the Cub Scout Snow Ski and Board Sports Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)