Cub Scout Physical Fitness
| Physical Fitness|
Belt Loop and Pin
Physical Fitness Sports Belt Loop
|The Cub Scout Physical Fitness Belt Loop is an option for the Webelos Sportsman activity badge.|
|The Cub Scout Physical Fitness Pin is an option for the Webelos Athlete activity badge.|
|The Cub Scout Physical Fitness belt loop and pin help prepare Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts for the Boy Scout Personal Fitness merit badge.|
|The Physical Fitness Award can be earned at all levels.|
The Cub Scout Physical Fitness belt loop and pin are a part of the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program. Tiger Cub, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos Scouts may earn this award in a Family, Den, Pack, school, or community setting. Tiger Cubs must be always accompanied by their Adult partner.
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- Give a short report to your den or family on the dangers of drugs and alcohol.
- Practice finding your pulse and counting your heartbeats per minute. Determine your target heart rate.
- Practice five physical fitness skills regularly. Improve performance in each skill over a month. Skills could include pull-ups, curl-ups, the standing long jump, the 50-yard dash, and the softball throw.
Sports Pin Requirements
Earn the Physical Fitness belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Make a diagram of the Food Guide Pyramid. List foods you ate in a week and show where they fit in the pyramid.
- Choose a form of exercise, bring your heart rate up to target, and keep it there for 15 minutes. Don't forget to warm up and cool down.
- Set up a four-step exercise program. Chart your progress for five days a week for two weeks.
- Explain the reason for warming up and cooling down before and after each exercise session.
- Visit a local gym and talk to a trainer about exercises and programs for young people.
- Participate in some aerobic exercises at least three times a week for four weeks.
- Build an obstacle course that could include some exercises with jumping, crawling, and hurdles. Time yourself three times to see whether you can improve your time.
- Swim for a total of an hour, charting your time as you go.
- Participate for at least three months in an organized team sport or organized athletic activity.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2015 Edition (BSA Supply No. 33216 - SKU# 620714)
- Earning the Physical Fitness Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout satisfies requirement 10 of the Athlete Activity Badge and is an option for requirement 3 of the Sportsman Activity Badge.
- Details on earning a pin or loop multiple times
| A FREE workbook for Cub Scout Physical Fitness is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- Achievement 1. could be met while completing Cub Scout Physical Fitness Pin requirement 7
- Achievement 3. could be met while completing Cub Scout Physical Fitness Pin requirement 1
- Achievement 8. could be met while completing Cub Scout Physical Fitness Pin requirement 1
- Wolf Electives
- Elective 18d. could be partially/met by/while completing Cub Scout Physical Fitness Pin requirement 7
- Elective 20a. could be met while completing Cub Scout Physical Fitness Pin requirement 9
- Achievement 16a. could be partially met by/while completing Cub Scout Physical Fitness Belt Loop/Pin requirement X...
- Bear Electives
- Elective 18. could be partially/met by/while completing Cub Scout Physical Fitness Belt Loop/Pin requirement X...
- Elective 19a., 19b., or 19e. could be met while completing Cub Scout Physical Fitness Pin requirement 8
- Elective 20f. could be met by earning the Cub Scout Physical Fitness Pin
- Athlete Activity Badge requirement 10. (earn the Cub Scout Physical Fitness Pin while a Webelos Scout)
- Sportsman Activity Badge requirement 3 (partial). (earn the Cub Scout Physical Fitness Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)
- Other Awards
- USDA MyPyramid.gov For Kids
- American Dietetic Association
- American Heart Association
- Centers for Disease Control: Fit Family Fit Kids
- Fitness for Kids
- International Food Information Council Foundation
- National Athletic Trainer's Association
- American Council on Exercise
- American Sport Education Program
- Institute for International Sport
- National Youth Sports Safety Foundation
- ExpertVillage Exercise Videos: