Cub Scout Map and Compass
| Map and Compass|
Belt Loop and Pin
Map and Compass Academics Belt Loop
The Cub Scout Map and Compass belt loop and pin are a part of the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program. Tiger Cub, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos Scouts may earn this award in a Family, Den, Pack, school, or community setting. Tiger Cubs must be always accompanied by their Adult partner.
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- Show how to orient a map. Find three landmarks on the map
- Explain how a compass works.
- Draw a map of your neighborhood. Label the streets and plot the route you take to get to a place that you often visit.
Academics Pin Requirements
Earn the Map and Compass belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Define cartography.
- Make a poster showing 10 map symbols and their meaning.
- Read a book or story about a famous explorer or navigator. Tell your den or family what you learned.
- Make a simple compass with a magnet and pin.
- Explain the difference between latitude and longitude and show them on a map or globe.
- Draw a compass rose for a map. Label north, south, east, and west.
- Study a blank map of the United States of America. Label your state, and the states that share its boundary lines.
- In the field, show how to take a compass bearing and how to follow it.
- Show how to measure distances, using a scale on a map legend.
- Measure your pace. Then layout a simple compass course for your den to try.
- Using a road map, determine how many miles it is between two major cities or familiar destinations.
- Explain what the different map colors can mean on a map.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2015 Edition (BSA Supply No. 33216 - SKU# 620714)
Help with these requirements
| A FREE workbook for Cub Scout Map and Compass is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Earning the Cub Scout Map and Compass Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout is requirement 13 of the Webelos Traveler Activity Badge.
- Details on earning a Cub Scout Sports or Academic pin or belt loop multiple times
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- Achievement 2F could be met while completing Cub Scout Map and Compass Belt Loop requirement 3
- Wolf Cub Scout
- Wolf Electives
- Elective 12f. could be met while completing Cub Scout Map and Compass Pin requirement 2
- Bear Cub Scout
- Bear Electives
- Elective 23d. could be partially met while completing Cub Scout Map and Compass Belt Loop requirement 3
- Traveler Activity Badge requirement 13. (earn the Cub Scout Map and Compass Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)
- Cub Scout Geography Belt Loop requirement 1 could be met while completing Cub Scout Map and Compass Belt Loop requirement 3