Cub Scout Language and Culture
| Language & Culture|
Belt Loop and Pin
Language & Culture Academics Belt Loop
The Cub Scout Language and Culture belt loop and pin are a part of the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program. Tiger Cub, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos Scouts may earn this award in a Family, Den, Pack, school, or community setting. Tiger Cubs must be always accompanied by their Adult partner.
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- Talk with someone who grew up in a different country than you did. Find out what it was like and how it is different from your experience.
- Learn 10 words that are in a different language than your own.
- Play two games that originated in another country or culture.
Academics Pin Requirements
Earn the Language & Culture belt loop, and complete seven of the following requirements:
- Earn the BSA Interpreter Strip.
- Write the numbers 1-10 in Chinese or another number system other than the one we normally use (we use the Arabic system).
- Visit an embassy, consulate, or charge d'affairs for another country.
- Make a display of stamps or postcards of another country. Explain the importance or symbolism of the things depicted to that country's culture.
- Learn 30 words in a language other than your own.
- Learn a song in another country's language.
- Say five words in American Sign Language. One of these words could be your first name.
- Visit a restaurant that specializes in recipes from another country.
- Watch a TV show or movie in a foreign language. Tell how easy or difficult it was to understand what was happening.
- Interview an interpreter. Find out what his or her job is like.
- Make a list of 30 things around your home that were made in another country.
- Read a book or story about an immigrant to the United States.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2003 Edition (BSA Supply No. 34299)
Help with these requirements
| A FREE workbook for Cub Scout Language and Culture is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Earning the Cub Scout Language and Culture Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout is requirement 6 of the Webelos Scholar Activity Badge.
- Details on earning a Cub Scout Sports or Academic pin or belt loop multiple times
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- Wolf Cub Scout
- Wolf Electives
- Elective 1c. could be met while completing Cub Scout Language and Culture Pin requirement 7
- Elective 4f. could be met while completing Cub Scout Language and Culture Pin requirement 3
- Bear Achievement 15b. could be met while completing Cub Scout Language and Culture Pin requirement 3
- Bear Achievement 15c. could be met while completing Cub Scout Language and Culture Pin requirement 3
- Scholar Activity Badge requirement 6. (earn the Cub Scout Language and Culture Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)
- Communicator Activity Badge requirement 10. Cub Scout Language and Culture Belt Loop requirement 7
- Earning the Interpreter Strip fulfills Cub Scout Language and Culture Pin requirement 1