Cub Scout Ice Skating
| Ice Skating|
Belt Loop and Pin
Ice Skating Sports Belt Loop
The Cub Scout Ice Skating belt loop and pin are a part of the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program. Tiger Cub, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos Scouts may earn this award in a Family, Den, Pack, school, or community setting. Tiger Cubs must be always accompanied by their Adult partner.
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain ways to protect yourself while ice skating, and the need for proper safety equipment.
- Spend at least 30 minutes practicing the skills of skating.
- Go ice skating with a family member or den for at least three hours. Chart your time.
Sports Pin Requirements
Earn the Ice Skating belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Participate in a pack or community skating event.
- Demonstrate how to sharpen your skates correctly.
- Demonstrate how to lace, assemble, and dissemble your skates correctly.
- On two occasions, spend at least 30 minutes practicing warm-up exercises before skating.
- Play a skating game on the ice.
- Learn two new figure-skating skills: Forward Swizzles, Glides, Backward Swizzles, and Backward Wiggle.
- Demonstrate how to "start" in a speed skating race.
- Explain the difference between long-track and short-track speed skating.
- Participate in a skating skill development clinic.
- Tell about an Olympian athlete in figure skating or speed skating. What were some of his or her best traits?
- Play a game of ice hockey.
- Participate in a hockey skill dvelopment clinic.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2003 Edition (BSA Supply No. 34299)
Help with these requirements
| A FREE workbook for Cub Scout Ice Skating is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- Sportsman Activity Badge requirement 3. (earn the Cub Scout Ice Skating Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)