Cub Scout Heritages
Belt Loop and Pin
Heritages Academics Belt Loop
| Cub Scout Heritages is an option for the Webelos Family Member Activity Badge|
and helps prepare Scouts for the Boy Scout American Heritage Merit Badge.
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- Talk with members of your family about your family heritage: its history, traditions, and culture.
- Make a poster that shows the origins of your ancestors. Share it with your den or other group.
- Draw a family tree showing members of your family for three generations.
Academics Pin Requirements
Earn the Heritages belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Participate in a pack heritage celebration in which Cub Scouts give presentations about their family heritage.
- Attend a family reunion.
- Correspond with a pen pal from another country. Find out how his or her heritage is different from yours.
- Learn 20 words in a language other than your native language.
- Interview a grandparent or other family elder about what it was like when he or she was growing up.
- Work with a parent or adult partner to organize family photographs in a photo album.
- Visit a genealogy library and talk with the librarian about how to trace family records. Variation: Access a genealogy Web site and learn how to use it to find out information about ancestors.
- Make an article of clothing, a toy, or a tool that your ancestors used. Show it to your den.
- Help your parent or adult partner prepare one of your family's traditional food dishes.
- Learn about the origin of your first, middle, or last name.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2015 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #620714)
Help with these requirements
| A FREE workbook for Cub Scout Heritages is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Earning the Cub Scout Heritages Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout is requirement 12 of the Webelos Family Member Activity Badge.
- Details on earning a Cub Scout Sports or Academic pin or belt loop multiple times
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- Achievement 8d. could be met while completing Cub Scout Heritages Belt Loop requirements 1 or 3
- Family Member Activity Badge requirement 12. (earn the Cub Scout Heritages Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)