Cub Scout Geography
Belt Loop and Pin
Geography Academics Belt Loop
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- 1. Draw a map of your neighborhood. Show natural and manmade features. Include a key or legend of map symbols.
- 2. Learn about the physical geography of your community. Identify the major landforms within 100 miles. Discuss with an adult what you learned.
- 3. Use a world globe or map to locate the continents, the oceans, the equator, and the northern and southern hemispheres. Learn how longitude and latitude lines are used to locate a site.
Academics Pin Requirements
Earn the Geography belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- 1. Make a three-dimensional model of an imaginary place. Include five different landforms, such as mountains, valleys, lakes, deltas, rivers, buttes, plateaus, basins, and plains.
- 2. List 10 cities around the world. Calculate the time it is in each city when it is noon in your town.
- 3. Find the company's location on the wrapper or label of 10 products used in your home, such as food, clothing, toys, and appliances. Use a world map or atlas to find each location.
- 4. On a map, trace the routes of some famous explorers. Show the map to your den or family.
- 5. On a United States or world map, mark where your family members and ancestors were born.
- 6. Keep a map record of the travels of your favorite professional sports team for one month.
- 7. Read a book (fiction or nonfiction) in which geography plays an important part.
- 8. Take part in a geography bee or fair in your pack, school, or community.
- 9. Choose a country in the world and make a travel poster for it.
- 10. Play a geography-based board game or computer game. Tell an adult some facts you learned about a place that was part of the game.
- 11. Draw or make a map of your state. Include rivers, mountain ranges, state parks, and cities. Include a key or legend of map symbols.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2015 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #620714)