Cub Scout Fishing
Belt Loop and Pin
Fishing Sports Belt Loop
|The Cub Scout Fishing Belt Loop is an option for the Webelos Sportsman activity badge.|
|The Cub Scout Fishing belt loop and pin help prepare Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts for the Boy Scout Fishing merit badge.|
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- Review your local fishing regulations with your leader or adult partner. Explain why they are important, and commit to following them.
- Demonstrate how to properly bait a hook.
- Try to catch a fish.
Sports Pin Requirements
Earn the Fishing belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Compete in a pack or community fishing tournament.
- Demonstrate how to clean a fish.
- Prepare a report on three different kinds of fish. Include information on preferred habitats, feeding habits, and recommended fishing techniques, baits, and equipment needed to catch it.
- Draw a picture of three different types of fishing reels. Explain how each works.
- Tie three fishing flies. Use at least one to fish.
- Demonstrate proficiency in casting at a target 30 feet away.
- Select a species of fish and draw a picture of it, correctly labeling each part and its function.
- Replace the line in a fishing reel.
- Make a simple pole and line fishing rig. Use it to catch a fish.
- Catch a fish using artificial bait or lures.
- Practice fishing on five occasions, complying with local fishing regulations and the Outdoor Code.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2015 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #620714)
Help with these requirements
| A FREE workbook for Cub Scout Fishing is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Earning the Cub Scout Fishing Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout is an option for requirement 3 of the Webelos Sportsman Activity Badge.
- Details on earning a Cub Scout Sports or Academic pin or belt loop multiple times
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- 23b. Cub Scout Fishing is an individual sport for Bear requriement 23.
- Sportsman Activity Badge requirement 3. (earn the Cub Scout Fishing Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)