Cub Scout Collecting
Belt Loop and Pin
Collecting Academics Belt Loop
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- 1. Begin a collection of at least 10 items that all have something in common. Label the items and title your collection.
- 2. Display your collection at a pack or den meeting.
- 3. Visit a show or museum that displays different collections.
Academics Pin Requirements
Earn the Collecting belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- 1. Give a talk about your collection to someone other than your family. Give a description of your collection, including a short history. Explain how you got started and why you decided to collect what you do.
- 2. Show how you preserve and display your collection. Explain any special precautions you must take including handling, cleaning, and storage. Note precautions for dampness, sunlight, or other weather conditions.
- 3. Read a book about what you collect.
- 4. Start a new collection of at least 20 items. Label the items, and title your collection.
- 5. Define numismatics and philately.
- 6. Join a club of collectors who share your hobby. This club may be a group of your friends.
- 7. Find out if there is a career that involves what you collect. Find out what kind of subjects you need to study to prepare for such a career.
- 8. If you collect coins or stamps, make a list of different countries in your collection. Explain how to identify each country's issues. Make a list of "clues" that help you identify the origin.
- 9. With an adult partner, visit an online auction and look for items you collect. What does it tell you about rarity and value of the things you collect?
- 10. Use a computer to catalog, organize, and keep track of your collection.
- 11. Help a friend get started on a collection of his or her own.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2015 Edition (BSA Supply SKU #620714)
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- Tiger Cub Scout
- Wolf Cub Scout
- Bear Cub Scout
- Webelos Scout
- Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program