Cub Scout Chess
with cross-references for related Cub Scout Tiger, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos requirements.
|The Cub Scout Chess Belt Loop is an option for the Webelos Scholar activity badge.|
Belt Loop and Pin
Chess Academics Belt Loop
The Cub Scout Chess belt loop and pin are a part of the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program. Tiger Cub, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos Scouts may earn this award in a Family, Den, Pack, school, or community setting. Tiger Cubs must be always accompanied by their Adult partner.
- Earning the Cub Scout Chess Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout is requirement 8 of the Webelos Scholar Activity Badge.
| A FREE workbook for Cub Scout Chess is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
Belt Loop Requirements
1. Identify the chess pieces and set up a chess board for play. - Chess Pieces - Castling - Pawn capture En Passant
2. Demonstrate the moves of each chess piece.
3. Play a game of chess.
Academics Pin Requirements
1. Demonstrate basic opening principles - Chess Opening - Chess Strategy for Chess Openings and Chess Principles
2. Visit a chess tournament. - Chess Tournament - USCF Tournament Announcements
3. Participate in a chess tournament. - National Scholastic Chess Foundation - Kid Chess
4. Solve a pre-specified chess problem. - Chess Problem - ChessProblems
5. Play five games of chess.
6. Play chess games via computer or on the Internet. - Free Internet Chess Server - Chess Maniac
7. Read about a famous chess player. List of Chess Players - Garry Kasparov - Viswanathan Anand - Bobby Fischer - Jose Raul Capablanca - Aron Nimzowitsch
8. Describe U.S. Chess Federation ratings for chess players. - Chess Rating Systems - USCF Rating Estimator
9. Write chess notation. - Chess Notation - Algebraic Chess Notation
10. History of chess. - History of Chess
- Achievement 10g could be met by completing Cub Scout Chess Belt Loop requirement 3 or Cub Scout Chess Pin requirement 5
- Achievements 15b. and 15c. could be met by completing Cub Scout Chess Belt Loop requirement 3 or Cub Scout Chess Pin requirement 5
- Scholar Activity Badge requirement 8 (earn the Cub Scout Chess Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)
- Hobby Awards
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Art - Chess - Coin Collecting - Collections - Computers - Dog Care - Fishing - Gardening - Genealogy - Golf - Horsemanship - Pets - Photography - Radio - Railroading - Reading - Stamp Collecting
- Venturing: Arts and Hobbies Bronze Award; Ranger Award electives: Cave Exploration - Cycling - Equestrian - Fishing
- Webelos Activity Badges: Artist - Traveler
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Art - Chess - Collecting - Computers
|Cub Scout Leader portal|
|Webelos Den Leader portal|