Cub Scout Chess
Belt Loop and Pin
Chess Academics Belt Loop
|The Cub Scout Chess Belt Loop is an option for the Webelos Scholar activity badge.|
The Cub Scout Chess belt loop and pin are a part of the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program. Tiger Cub, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos Scouts may earn this award in a Family, Den, Pack, school, or community setting. Tiger Cubs must be always accompanied by their Adult partner.
Belt Loop Requirements
- Identify the chess pieces and set up a chess board for play.
- Demonstrate the moves of each chess piece to your den leader or adult partner.
- Play a game of chess.
Academics Pin Requirements
Earn the Chess belt loop, and complete 5 of the following requirements:
- Demonstrate basic opening principles (such as development of pieces, control center, castle, don't bring queen out too early, don't move same piece twice).
- Visit a chess tournament and tell your den about it.
- Participate in a pack, school, or community chess tournament.
- Solve a pre-specified chess problem (e.g., "White to move and mate in three") given to you by your adult partner.
- Play five games of chess.
- Play 10 chess games via computer or on the Internet.
- Read about a famous chess player.
- Describe U.S. Chess Federation ratings for chess players.
- Learn to write chess notation and record a game with another Scout.
- Present a report about the history of chess to your den or family.
| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide, 2003 Edition (BSA Supply No. 34299)
Help with these requirements
| A FREE workbook for Cub Scout Chess is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Earning the Cub Scout Chess Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout is requirement 8 of the Webelos Scholar Activity Badge.
- Details on earning a Cub Scout Sports or Academic pin or belt loop multiple times
Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- Achievement 10g could be met by completing Cub Scout Chess Belt Loop requirement 3 or Cub Scout Chess Pin requirement 5
- Achievements 15b. and 15c. could be met by completing Cub Scout Chess Belt Loop requirement 3 or Cub Scout Chess Pin requirement 5
- Scholar Activity Badge requirement 8 (earn the Cub Scout Chess Belt Loop while a Webelos Scout)