Cave Exploration (Ranger Award elective)
| This is the Cave Exploration elective for the Venturing Ranger Award.|
Boy Scouts can earn the Climbing merit badge.
Venturers can earn the Mountaineering and Cave Exploration Ranger Award electives
Cave Exploration (Ranger Award elective) requirements
Caves can be dangerous if you are not properly trained or equipped. Here are some cave safety tips:
Requirement 2a. Endline knots: is actually written as: "bowline figure six, figure eight on a bight". However, as there is no known "bowline figure six" knot, we can safely assume there are two typographical errors in this line... there should be a comma after bowline and six should be eight. As such, "endline knots" for this requirement should instead be written, read and interpreted as: "bowline, figure eight, [and] figure eight on a bight". (Once the official requirements changes, this note will be obsolete, but may still be retained here for those who may have older requirements books.)
3d, 5a, 7b, & 10b. Presentation resources:
- Cub Scout: Communicating Belt Loop & Pin - Webelos: Communicator - Merit Badges: Public Speaking - Communication
- Lesson Videos: ExpertVillage: Giving a Speech - Public Speaking Tips - Public Speaking - Eye Contact - Hand Gestures - Props
- 2-3 Knot Links
- Animated Knots: Basic Scout Knots - Forty Scout knots - Special Knots - Sailing knots - Fishing knots - Folsoms Knots - Animatedknots.com - Great Animations - More Animated Knots - More great Animated Knots - Still more - Knot Videos - Basics Videos - Basics2
- Other Knot Links: Advanced knots - Ropers Knots Page - Climbing Knots - Fishing knots - Knots Index
- 6 First Aid Links
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See First Aid Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: First Aid Merit Badge Pamphlet - First Aid Kit - Emergency Kit - Guide to Safe Scouting - Physcial
- 6 Emergency Preparedness Award Links
|Emergency Preparedness-related awards
- Venturing Ranger Award on the BSA scouting.org site.
- Venturing Quest Award on the BSA scouting.org site.