|2010 Historic (a.k.a. "Centennial") Merit Badges "Data Entry" Deadline: With the deadline of December 31, 2010 for Scouts to earn the historical merit badges, the decision has been made to allow additional time thereafter for entering them into the ScoutNET system. The deadline for doing so has been set as March 31, 2011. This applies to those at the local council who enter advancement based on forms submitted, or unit management software file uploads provided. It also applies to unit advancement processors using Internet Advancement. The merit badges affected are: Carpentry, Pathfinding, Signaling, and Tracking. This is not intended as an extension of time to earn the badges; only as additional time for data entry. Troops can submit advancement reports for Historic Merit Badges earned by Scouts before 12/31/2010 through March 31, 2011. — Announcement from the National Council office.|
|Carpentry "Centennial" merit badge|
|Released:||1911, 2010||BSA Advancement ID:|
|Retired:||1952, 2010||Requirements Revision:||2010|
The Carpentry merit badge was one of the original 57 merit badges issued by the Boy Scouts of America in 1911.
| A FREE workbook for Carpentry is available here! |
with the maps, charts, links, diagrams, and checklists you need!
|meritbadge.org has PDF and DOC versions of|
Boy Scout merit badge workbooks,
Webelos workbooks, and Cub Scout workbooks.
- Per the BSA: "You should read the merit badge pamphlet on the subject." Pamphlets (books) are at local Scout Shops and online at ScoutStuff.org.
- "Get a signed Merit Badge application from your Scoutmaster." An online, printable Word doc file version is available.
6. Knock-Off Wood Free, easy-to-understand graphic and text plans, categorized by cost and difficulty level.
BSA Merit Badge Resources
- Woodwork Merit Badge has many project ideas as well:
Related Ranks, Awards, and Merit Badges
2010 Historic merit badge program resources
|Merit Badge||MeritBadge.Org||USScouts.Org||Scouting.Org (BSA)|
|Carpentry||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
|Pathfinding||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
|Signaling||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
|Tracking||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
The basics of the 2010 Historic Merit Badge Program include:
- "The effective date for earning these new merit badges is April 1, 2010, and requirements must be completed no later than Dec. 31, 2010." — 2010 Historical MB Program
- "The contemporary merit badges closely resemble the original designs of their counterparts with the exception of the border, which is gold." — 2010 Historical MB Program
- The BSA Supply Division will not print (new) or re-print (old) pamphlets for these merit badges – official BSA materials for these merit badges will be available only in electronic format at Scouting.Org. (We have provided you those links, above).
1938, 1945, 1950 merit badge requirements
- Demonstrate the use of the rule, square, level, plumb-line, mitre, chalk-line and bevel.
- Demonstrate the proper way to drive, set, and clinch a nail, draw a spike with a claw-hammer, and to join two pieces of wood with screws.
- Show correct use of the cross-cut saw and of the rip-saw.
- Show how to plane the edge, end and the broad surface of a board.
- Demonstrate how to lay shingles.
- Make a simple article of furniture for practical use in the home or on the home grounds, finished in a workmanlike manner, all work to be done without assistance.
General Merit Badge information
- An Introduction to Merit Badges – how to get started, who chooses the counselor, etc.
- Merit Badge Worksheets & Requirements – with the revision dates, diagrams, charts, checklists, logs, and links you need.
- Merit Badge Application – offers online resources to let you print "Blue Cards," etc.
- Merit Badge FAQ – answers dozens of questions like: Who can be a counselor? Can requirements be added or removed?
- Merit Badges Requiring Prior Approval – Certain requirements need prior approval. Most do not. Here is the list.
- Also see: List of how many boys have earned each Merit Badge – Merit Badge policies – Merit badges required for the Eagle Scout rank – Merit Badge Days
- Additionally: List of Merit Badges by Field of Study – Merit Badge Pamphlets & Libraries
- Merit Badge Counselors must complete Youth Protection Training, file an Adult Application (and Merit Badge Counselor Information Form); and be approved by the local council. (See the Guide for Merit Badge Counselors for additional details.)