Basic Leader Training
m (minor copy-edit of intro paras.)
|Line 26:||Line 26:|
Basic Leader Training has two parts:
- This Is Scouting (was New Leader Essentials) is for all new leaders in Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Varsity Scouting, and Venturing. It highlights the values, aims, history, funding, and methods of the Scouting program. Once completed, it need not be taken again, even if the leader moves to a different position or program level.
- Leader Specific Training gives a leader the knowledge and skills needed for a specific position. Leader Specific Training is available for the following positions:
- Tiger Cub leader
- Cub Scout den leader and assistant (Wolf and Bear)
- Webelos den leader and assistant
- Cubmaster and assistant
- Pack Committee members
- Scoutmaster and assistant
- Troop Committee members
- Varsity Scout Coach and assistant
- Team Committee members
- Venturing Advisor and associate Advisor
- Crew Committee members
Basic Leader Training goes into greater detail on youth development and boy behavior, program planning, activities, and the purposes of the program. It is usually presented in one or two group sessions, but can be delivered to small groups or even individuals through personal coaching.
Every leader should complete Basic Leader Training; it prepares leaders to deliver a quality, fun-filled program. Leaders who understand the whys and hows of the program are more effective in their roles. They know how to use available resources to provide an exciting and worthwhile program for boys. Trained leaders have confidence in carrying out their responsibilities and, along with the boys, have more fun.
Your unit leader, unit commissioner, or district training chair can help you learn about the Basic Leader Training available in your district and council. Dates and locations of upcoming training courses are often announced in the local council or district newsletter or Web site.
Online or classroom Leader Training
Youth protection (MANDATORY) – every registered adult must be re-certified every two years.
- Fast Start Training – online training you can take right now.
- Leader Specific Training – provides the specialized knowledge a new leader needs.
BSA Online Learning Center Training courses can be completed online at my.Scouting Tools by selecting Home, then My Dashboard.
- Other: This Is Scouting (formerly New Leader Essentials) – Roundtable – University of Scouting – Trainer’s EDGE (formerly Trainer Development Conference)
Outdoor Leader Training
In addition to fulfilling other requirements, some unit leaders need outdoor-specific training.
- Cub Scout Pack: BALOO – To have a Pack camp-out, at least one unit leader must be BALOO trained.
- Webelos Den Leaders: Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders (OWL) – To have a Webelos Den camp-out.
- Scoutmaster & Assistants and Varsity Scout Coach & Assistants: Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills – To have a camp-out.
- Wood Badge – Advanced Leadership skills for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, Venturing, district and council Scouters.
- Seabadge – Advanced Leadership skills for unit, district and council Sea Scouters.