|"At least one adult on a pack overnighter must have completed Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO)."|
In order for a Cub Scout Pack to have a campout, at least one leader must be BALOO trained. In addition, a Local Tour Permit must be submitted to the local council and at least one person must have read and have a copy of the Guide to Safe Scouting. Tiger, Wolf, and Bear dens may not have Den Campouts. Webelos Den Campouts require that at least one leader have completed Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders.
Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO) is a one-day training event that introduces den leaders, Cub Masters, other pack leaders, and parents to the skills needed to plan and conduct pack outdoor activities, particularly pack camping.
Participants who complete this training course will:
- Understand the focus of the Cub Scout level of the BSA outdoor program.
- Gain the skills needed to plan and carry out a successful Cub Scout-level overnight activity.
- Learn more about the resources available from the BSA for carrying out this activity.
- This training is required for any adult who is in charge of planning a pack campout.
This training program follows the Cub Scout Basic Adult Leadership Outdoor Orientation
Online or classroom Leader Training
Youth protection (MANDATORY) – every registered adult must be re-certified every two years.
- Fast Start Training – online training you can take right now.
- Leader Specific Training – provides the specialized knowledge a new leader needs.
BSA Online Learning Center – provides a variety of materials courses.
- Other: This Is Scouting (formerly New Leader Essentials) – Roundtable – University of Scouting – Trainer’s EDGE (formerly Trainer Development Conference)
Outdoor Leader Training
In addition to fulfilling other requirements, some unit leaders need outdoor-specific training.
- Cub Scout Pack: BALOO – To have a Pack camp-out, at least one unit leader must be BALOO trained.
- Webelos Den Leaders: Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders (OWL) – To have a Webelos Den camp-out.
- Scoutmaster & Assistants and Varsity Scout Coach & Assistants: Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills – To have a camp-out.
- Wood Badge – Advanced Leadership skills for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, Venturing, district and council Scouters.
- Seabadge Underway – Advanced Leadership skills for unit, district and council Sea Scouters.