| Please note that there was a previous version of the Aviation merit badge between 1911 and 1941!|
This page only explains the current Aviation merit badge after it got reintroduced in 1952.
|Aviation merit badge|
|BSA Advancement ID:||025|
|Latest pamphlet revision:||2014|
|“||For most of history, people have dreamed of flying, imagining how it would feel to soar through the sky like an eagle or hover in midair like a hummingbird, to float on unseen currents, free of Earth's constant tug, able to travel great distances and to rise above any obstacle. Today, through aviation, we can not only join the birds but also fly farther, faster, and higher than they ever could.||”|
Aviation merit badge requirements
1a. Define "aircraft." - Kinds and uses of aircraft - piston, turboprop, and jet engines
1b. The blank control surfaces diagram you need is in the Aviation Workbookwith instructions for a model paper airplane.
1c. The blank airfoil diagram you need is in the Aviation Workbook.
- Explain how an airfoil generates lift - How ailerons, elevators, and rudder affect the airplane's attitude - How a propeller produces thrust
- EAA Young Eagles Program - Youth ages 8-17 can fly in small planes for free!
- Video Flying Lessons: Type of Planes - Exterior - Interior - Taking Off - Flying - Landing
2b. Video Lesson: How to Pre-flight a plane
2c. Free Online Aeronautical Charts - Navigation
2d. Free online flight simulators - Google Earth flight simulator
2e. The blank US Map you need is in the Aviation Workbook.
- Commercial Aviation routes and timetables: Travelocity - Expedia - Yahoo
- See Google maps for mapping your course.
- The aviation flight plan and itinerary table you need is in the Aviation Workbook.
2f. EAA Purposes and functions of instruments
2g. Aircraft Instrument Panels
3a. Radio Controlled Model Airplanes under $30 (Click Search Links): Target - eBay - Amazon Radio Shack
3b. FPG-9 Foam Plate Glider Links: Overview - instructions.doc Instructions - Pattern - AMA activity.doc Activities
- Another FPG-9 Site - instructions.doc Instructions - Pattern
- FPG-9 as a part of the US Air Force Project SOAR: PowerPoint Slide Show - Pattern
4a. How Airports Work
4b. FAA Educational Contacts
4c. Aviation Museum Locator - Aviation History Museum - Nat. Aeronautics and Space Admin. - Listing of US Airshows
5. FAA Aviation Careers Guide - Careers in Aviation
|General Merit Badge information
- 10/23/2010 – 10th Annual Aviation Merit Badge at Lockheed Martin Aeronautics; Last day to register: 10/15/2010
- Aviation Merit Badge Detailed Notebook Provided for the Tuscarora Merit Badge College. Though the clinic has passed, the presentation is still valid.
- Troop 509's Aviation Merit Badge Presentation A step-by-step supplement to the MB booklet.
- Academy of Model Aeronautics
- Aeronautics Learning Laboratory
- AvStop Magazine
- Federal Aviation Administration
- Nat. Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin.
- University Aviation Association