The Webelos Aquanaut Activity Badge is one of 20 different Activity Badges that can be earned in the Webelos Scout Program. The requirements are typically worked on during den meetings or den activities while the skills are practiced at home, with the help of the Webelos Scout's family. The requirements are either completed with the den or at home with the den leader's approval. Projects are brought to meetings to share with the den and for Webelos Den Leader or Activity Badge Counselor approval.
The Aquanaut Activity Badge teaches swimming skills and basic water and boat safety.
- Jump into water over your head. Come to the surface and swim 100 feet, at least half of this using a backstroke.
- Stay in the water after the swim and float on your back and your front, and demonstrate survival floating.
- Put on a personal floatation device (PFD) that is the right size for you. Make sure it is properly fastened. Wearing the PFD, jump into water over your head. Show how the PFD keeps your head above water by swimming 25 feet. Get out of the water, remove the PFD, and hang it where it will dry.
And do three of these:
- Do a front surface dive and swim under water for four strokes before returning to the surface.
- Explain the four basic water rescue methods. Demonstrate reaching and throwing rescues.
- With an adult on board, show that you know how to handle a rowboat.
- Pass the BSA "swimmer" test:
- Jump feet-first into water over the head in depth, level off, and begin swimming.
- Swim 75 yards in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl.
- Then swim 25 yards using an easy, resting backstroke.
- After completing the swim, rest by floating.
- The 100 yards must be completed in one swim without stops and must include at least one sharp turn.
- While you are a Webelos Scout, earn the Cub Scout Sports belt loop for swimming.
|| The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:|
Webelos Handbook, 2007 Edition (BSA Supply No. 33452)
The text of these requirements is locked and can only be edited by an administrator.
Please note any errors found in the above requirements on this article's Talk Page.