2011 Boy Scout Requirement Changes
|Special thanks to... PaulSWolf and the U.S. Scouting Service Project (USSSP) for allowing us permission to use his work and re-format (wikify) it for our use here. Paul is a Sysop (here and on our forums), as well as Secretary of the USSSP.|
| Please help improve this article by expanding it.|
Further information might be found on the talk page.
The 2011 edition of Boy Scout Requirements (No. 33216 - SKU#34765) was released in mid-January, 2011. The 2011 Boy Scout Requirements book includes: a minor addition to Life rank requirement 4, a clarification to Eagle rank requirement 6, major revisions to three merit badges, minor changes to two merit badges, and the requirements for the three new merit badges (released in 2010).
2011 Boy Scout Requirements (Summary of changes)
An addition was made to requirement 6, by adding item (g) as a seventh option for Scouts teaching the EDGE method to another Scout. The change reads as follows:
- 6. While a Star Scout, use the EDGE method to teach a younger Scout the skills from ONE of the following seven
sixchoices, so that he is prepared to pass those requirements to his unit leader's satisfaction.
- g. Three requirements from one of the Eagle-required merit badges, as approved by your unit leader.
BSA included a clarification of requirement 4, as follows:
- The 2009 printing of the Boy Scout Handbook inadvertently included bugler as a position of responsibility under Eagle Scout requirement 4; it is not. The corrected Eagle Scout requirement 4 will appear in the next printing of the Boy Scout Handbook.
The following Merit Badges (released in 2010) are now listed in the new (2011) "Boy Scout Requirements" book:
The requirements for the following Merit Badges were revised, effective January 1, 2011:
|2010 Historic (a.k.a. "Centennial") Merit Badges "Data Entry" Deadline: With the deadline of December 31, 2010 for Scouts to earn the historical merit badges, the decision has been made to allow additional time thereafter for entering them into the ScoutNET system. The deadline for doing so has been set as March 31, 2011. This applies to those at the local council who enter advancement based on forms submitted, or unit management software file uploads provided. It also applies to unit advancement processors using Internet Advancement. The merit badges affected are: Carpentry, Pathfinding, Signaling, and Tracking. This is not intended as an extension of time to earn the badges; only as additional time for data entry. Troops can submit advancement reports for Historic Merit Badges earned by Scouts before 12/31/2010 through March 31, 2011. — Announcement from the National Council office.|
- Robotics is scheduled to be released in April, 2011.
Merit Badge pamphlets
The following new Merit Badge pamphlets were released in 2010:
The following existing Merit Badge pamphlets were revised in 2010:
- Landscape Architecture
- Model Design and Building
- Nuclear Science
- Soil and Water Conservation
Boy Scout Requirements changes policy
|— Boy Scout Requirements #33216, inside front cover|
- USScouts.org – 2011 Boy Scout Advancement Requirement Changes (Last retrieved: 01/22/2011)
- USScouts.org – Past Advancement Changes (Last retrieved: 01/22/2011)