2010 Historic Merit Badge Program
In the last 99 years, there have been many changes in the merit badge offerings. As society has changed, the Boy Scouts of America has adapted by revising the requirements, implementing name changes, adding new merit badges, and in some instances, eliminating some badges altogether.
For the 100th Anniversary Celebration, four vintage merit badges are being released for the centennial celebration year only, giving Boy Scouts the hands-on opportunity to experience the exciting past of Scouting while learning how our world has changed in that 100 years.
|— Overview of historical merit badge requirements|
2010 Historic merit badge program resources
|Merit Badge||MeritBadge.Org||USScouts.Org||Scouting.Org (BSA)|
|Carpentry||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
|Pathfinding||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
|Signaling||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
|Tracking||Workbook||Workbook||MB web page||"2010" MB packet||"Historical" MB pamphlet|
The basics of the 2010 Historic Merit Badge Program include:
- "The effective date for earning these new merit badges is April 1, 2010, and requirements must be completed no later than Dec. 31, 2010." — 2010 Historical MB Program
- "The contemporary merit badges closely resemble the original designs of their counterparts with the exception of the border, which is gold." — 2010 Historical MB Program
- The BSA Supply Division will not print (new) or re-print (old) pamphlets for these merit badges – official BSA materials for these merit badges will be available only in electronic format at Scouting.Org. (We have provided you those links, above).
Original goals of the program
- For a majority of registered eligible members to earn one or more of the badges during the Centennial year.
- To encourage each unit, district, and council to identify qualified counselors for the badges.
- Allow badges to be earned by individual Scouts, but encourage districts and councils to offer opportunities to work on at least some of these merit badges at summer camp or special Anniversary celebration.